Honda Insight Forum banner

what is recall CL-02-081

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  SteveChicagoSC 
#1 ·
I've searched the boards but can't find mention of this. I got a notice from an individual honda dealer that i had a recall for emissions that referenced number "CL-02-081". I hate recalls because I never know how important they are or whether they're just an excuse to get me into the dealership. Is anyone familiar with this recall? No other useful information is given.

Thanks!

Adam

#2 ·
Hi fezzik21 welcome to Insight Central.

Though I don't have anything here to reference it to, the emissions recall (effecting 2000-2001 Insight's) is a recall on the ECM (engine control module) which fails to properly monitor all parameters all the time possibly allowing excessive emissions to occur. Basically they replace the computer with an updated one. It also does a few other little fixes I believe and slightly changes the way the car operates. In particular it fixes a possible false check engine light for O2 sensor codes. There have not been many complaints with this from people who have had it done, in fact some people reported better mpg after the recall was done.

It's probably best to get it done since in the future you might have an issue if it is not whether it is for emissions testing or registration. Make sure you take all the keys you have for the car with you when you have it done, they have to program the keys to the new computer. Make sure they all work before leaving the dealership too.

#4 ·
I received a recall notice yesterday for my 06 MT. The reported problem is an emissions thingee that goes out of whack. How is that for tech talk :lol: It seems to be mostly a problem in sunny California due to their very strict standards.
When I redig up the notice I will provide more specific info.

#5 ·
I got the recall notice friday.

Apparently a programing flaw causes two emmisions control devices to get out of sync after driving about 2.5 hours. When the controls get out of sync the car lights up the CEL. Honda says the car may not pass its emmisions test if the problem is not taken care of. hmm.

This sounds eerily like the 2610 engine problem I had. I was driving to Palm Springs and could easily have been driving 2.5 hours when the light came on.
The dealer changed the computer in the car. I have since driven for more than 2.5 hours on two occasions but the CEL did not come on. Go figure.

#6 ·
It is weird because the 2 times i drove the car any distance (3 hours and 4 hours) the check engine light went on, but went off shortly after. I rarely drive at all, walk to work, so i never really get to drive that distance. I will take it in before my next road trip (6 hours) in September, see if it does not happen again.

#7 ·
My wife encountered this problem on a trip to Atlanta and had the new software downloaded to fix the problem. My sense is that since this was done the batteries do not recharge as quickly. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has had a similar result.

#8 ·
I got this too, and felt totally vindicated! my check engine light has been going on and off for a few months now and it usually happens after 2.5-3 hours of driving, just like the recall said it would.

of course, the light is off now, and hasn't been on for a few weeks (despite long trips) so I'm not sure if I'm ready to strong arm a dealer into actually believing me and fixing it.

#9 ·
Emission Recal

I just got my repaired Scooter back today, following receipt of this recall letter from AMH. Looks like they replaced Part #37820-PHM-A64, and reprogrammed the computer. Will keep all posted on how it affects mileage - if at all. I hear it may improve...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.