Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed my car making a noise while sitting in the garage. It only lasts about one second and I've only heard it a few times. I would describe it like a buzzing sound. The key is out of the ignition and no lights or accessories are on.

Any one have an idea what's up and if this is normal?

·
Registered
32 Posts
When does it happen.. right after you take your keys out of the ignition after driving it?

·
Registered
702 Posts
the cabin light does stay on for a few seconds after you take the key out of the ignition...is it this? :?:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed it yesterday after the car had been sitting for almost 2 days. I had rolled the car outside to wash it and then rolled it back in the garage without starting it. I did turn the key to the "on" position so I could turn the steering wheel and check the mileage. I noticed the sound about an hour later. This is about the third time I've heard this over the last 3 months.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Doesn't matter how much fuel is left. It's just the system transferring evaporated fuel vapour to/from the charcoal canister. There must he some kind of valve that oscillates.

Quite normal. If the car is sitting in the sun, it will groan every few minutes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't all cars make this sound? I hear a symphony of "groaning" or the "piching of the mouth of a balloon" (as AaronCake put it) every time I walk through a parking lot filled with recently just parked cars.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
That sound is made by the owners while they are looking at their fuel receipt. ;)

I can't say I've ever heard it come from another car. Of course, the Insight is one of the few modern cars I pay any attention to.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This might explain the mysterious metallic "DING" we used to hear coming from under our '03 Cavalier on hot days or right after we shut the car off. It sounded like the gas tank was expanding and the metal was bending under the pressure.

Or, it might've just been a crappy car since it was at the dealership as often as it was in our driveway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts