Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting some things in my storage box and noticed that on the back wall of the car there is some sort of metal ring with a gray plastic piece on it. It is toward the right sight of the storage box lid.

Is it for some sort of lock? What does it do?

I can't find it in the owner's manual.

Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picture...

What is that thing above the notch in storage box lid? It spins around, so it may be upside down in this picture. (It is probably something obvious, but I can't figure it out).

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If you look in the first section of the owners manual it says it's a mount for a child seat. Obviously there are serious saftey matters in doing that, but it's there if you look.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh..

Thanks, Rick. I would have never found that (no kids). That tethered seat is an odd looking contraption.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yes, and with the air bag right in front likely a death trap. Kind of off don't you think? Maybe they think differently in Japan.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Benjamin...

Look at the child seat section of the Owner's Manual. You're thinking what I was, but the seat doesn't go back there. It stays in the passenger seat, but a tether from the top of it attaches to that. There are 2 other places to attach tethers. Looks like something for Hannibal the Cannibal.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
If you read elsewhere in the owner's manual it basically states that it's not a good idea to put a kid anywhere in the Insight because of the airbag.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah. I guess when I have kids in 4 or 5 years I'll probably want to trade it in, or keep them out of this car. Anybody ever find out if dealers offer the ability to turn off the airbag. I've seen some people mentioning that some dealers may be able to install the switch to disable the airbag, after signing disclaimers of course. Would be interesting in seeing how hard it is to modify the passenger airbag to not deploy, how hard is the switch to install. Would be a nice feature to add maybe.

To the left of the drivers steering wheel, above the little accesory thing that opens like a ash tray (I keep change and such in mine) there are these 3 little "cut-out" pieces. These are usually where they'll mount extra switches and LED's for dealer or factory options. However there is nothing optional on my insight that I could have gotten that would have had extra controls installed there. I wonder what Honda had intended to use those places for, but would be a nice place to put a switch to control the airbag.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Glitch - My Insight has the fog light switch located on one of these three cut-outs, so yes, they intended for additional switches. Keep thinking of improvements!

·
Registered
366 Posts
It where you attach the leash for the child.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Airbag Cut-Off Switch?

I've got two kids, one is 3 and one is 2. I'd like to drive one of them around once in a while, since it has the tether mount does anyone think the dealer would be willing to install a shut-off switch for the airbag? Has anyone had any luck with this?

Now that I think of it, I should probably search before posting....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Glitch,
I asked the same question (about the 3 little cut-outs) on the Yahoo Insight group a while back. One of the European owners answered me - apparently on the euro version of the Insight there are controls to adjust the headlight direction that are mounted in that location. :?:
I tried to find the original thread, but the Yahoo list archives are unavailable at the moment. If I think about it, I'll look later - just to make sure I'm not hallucinating. :wink:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Jim,

you're not hallucinating. Because the Euro cars have a different headlight beam, drivers have to be able to adjust the headlights when carrying passengers or driving with heavy cargo in the trunk.

Jim

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks Jim...I was able to check the Yahoo forums earlier to verify that there was a message about a headlight leveling switch...so I confirmed my lucidity. :wink:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Airbag

In California I believe the dealer can offer to turn it off at no cost or nearly no cost. Look into it if you don't want the passenger airbag on all the time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Airbag

In California I believe the dealer can offer to turn it off at no cost or nearly no cost. Look into it if you don't want the passenger airbag on all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts