Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my Insight idles (either when the engine is warming up or I'm shooting for a 3 mile coast downhill) it idles a bit over 1000 rpm. I'm thinking that's a little high (my other Hondas always stuck aroung 600-800 rpm). btw - it's a five speed - thanks!
Wayne

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Idle spec is 900+-50 RPM. (pg. 11-106 of the FSM)

Given the bar graph style of the tachometer display what your probably "seeing" is correct.

"Cold" engine idle (coolant temps below 190F ish) will have a corresponding increasingly higher RPM.

Further inspection will require a scan tool to retrieve RPM data. Still too high :?: Check coolant level in the radiator (cold engine recommended) :!: :oops: , engine vacuum leaks, IACV leak, or sticky engine thermostat.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know if it applies to the Insight, but some MT cars ie: Ford Taurus SHO actually bump up the idle speed when the car senses its moving, regardless of speed, or temp because it assumes you'll be putting it in gear, and by having an higher speed it keeps from jolting you when you downshift....

-Tim

·
Registered
741 Posts
Don't know if this true or not, but....

I've noticed the more cylinders a car has, the slower it idles. My insight like the OP's insight idles around 1000 rpm. In contrast my Dodge with twice as many cylinders idles at around 700. And my brother's 12-cylinder behemoth (SUV) idles around only 500 rpm.

Is it the case the fewer cylinders a car has, the faster it has to idle to keep running?

·
Registered
408 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
Is it the case the fewer cylinders a car has, the faster it has to idle to keep running?
I think it's more due to NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness). The more cylinders a car has, the more pulses it has in a revolution of the crank. This is the same reason flywheel size decreases as the number of cylinders increases. I'm sure the Insight could idle at 500 rpm but it would be quite rough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts