Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2000 Insight that I bought new in December 1999. I ordered it in September 1999 sight unseen and did not even know what the price would be. I did order it in red with air conditioning and an upgraded sound system. It is original, no modifications. I have replaced the big battery a few times over the years. i saw a report on the news about a month ago that there were 17 sold in the USA in 1999. I have one of those and it’s vin # is less than 000050. It only had 109,000 miles on it and has been garaged most of its life. I am considering selling it because as I age it is harder to get in and out of it. I am looking for someone who will value it as one of the first ones. Does anyone know of someone who would value it for more than just parts. Can anyone suggest someone to contact about this?

·
Registered
2005 NAVY BLUE PEARL CVT
66 Posts
Where are you located? There might have only been 17 actual sales in the U.S. in 1999 (not sure where you got that info) but it still a 2000 model year car. With that said there is a market out there still for the car depending on the condition and the state of the battery Anyway, if you post your location maybe someone is close by and can help you out with a valuation....and maybe post some pictures. Sure you will get some input.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Have you contacted Honda about whether or not this is a car they would like to put in a museum? They have one near Columbus, Ohio.

If the sale is not urgent, you could post it here for a price that will keep away all but those who have that interest (it could take a year to find them) and indicate you will sell it only to an enthusiast with resources and a plan. For example, such a plan would be to garage it, restore it, put historic plates on it, and drive it only for very special occasions or to rallys, while maintaining a second Insight as the "driver". Not everybody will have such a plan, or the resources, but you are probably looking for enthusiasm more than anything and can spot a fakir, and be flexible that way.

I guarantee you that you are unlikely to find that person in a week (I can tell you most of us would love your car but not so many able to care for it) but in a year, someone will roll by and see it and fall in love with it.

Bump the ad at the frequency permitted, and join us talking about your car. If you are on the east coast, there will be a meetup this summer, and we would love to meet you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are you located? There might have only been 17 actual sales in the U.S. in 1999 (not sure where you got that info) but it still a 2000 model year car. With that said there is a market out there still for the car depending on the condition and the state of the battery Anyway, if you post your location maybe someone is close by and can help you out with a valuation....and maybe post some pictures. Sure you will get some input.
the report that there were 17 sold in 1999 was on the PBS Newshour in conjunction with a report on hybrid cars. I purchased the car in Salem, Oregon and it has been in this area since that time. I am new to this site and still trying to figure out how to upload a photo.

·
Registered
221 Posts
the report that there were 17 sold in 1999 was on the PBS Newshour in conjunction with a report on hybrid cars. I purchased the car in Salem, Oregon and it has been in this area since that time. I am new to this site and still trying to figure out how to upload a photo.

How much money are you wanting for the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you contacted Honda about whether or not this is a car they would like to put in a museum? They have one near Columbus, Ohio.

If the sale is not urgent, you could post it here for a price that will keep away all but those who have that interest (it could take a year to find them) and indicate you will sell it only to an enthusiast with resources and a plan. For example, such a plan would be to garage it, restore it, put historic plates on it, and drive it only for very special occasions or to rallys, while maintaining a second Insight as the "driver". Not everybody will have such a plan, or the resources, but you are probably looking for enthusiasm more than anything and can spot a fakir, and be flexible that way.

I guarantee you that you are unlikely to find that person in a week (I can tell you most of us would love your car but not so many able to care for it) but in a year, someone will roll by and see it and fall in love with it.

Bump the ad at the frequency permitted, and join us talking about your car. If you are on the east coast, there will be a meetup this summer, and we would love to meet you!
The sale is not urgent, there is space in the garage. I just want to start looking. I did send an email to Honda but probably did not ask the right question as they just kind of blew me off. I was not aware of the museum but will look it up. The car is located in Salem, Oregon so I don’t think an east coast meet up is in my future.

·
Registered
2005 NAVY BLUE PEARL CVT
66 Posts
When you type your message there is a picture icon on the right side top line . Click on that icon, then click on drop image and you can post pictures! Honda museum sounds like a stretch but who knows...is it MINT condition?? Don't get me wrong, garage kept is great for any car and certainly should help the value. I am certain HONDA has a few of these stashed away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you type your message there is a picture icon on the right side top line . Click on that icon, then click on drop image and you can post pictures! Honda museum sounds like a stretch but who knows...is it MINT condition?? Don't get me wrong, garage kept is great for any car and certainly should help the value. I am certain HONDA has a few of these stashed away.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'd say if everything works and it has been garage kept with no real damage then you could post it up for somewhere between $5 and 7k on here. My 02 with 77k miles that needed a battery and some other stuff was 3500 and it has some scuffs and scrapes.

·
Registered
2005 NAVY BLUE PEARL CVT
66 Posts
I am careful about throwing prices out on any car without due diligence. Carfax, maintenance, brakes, tires, running condition battery status, etc. And without seeing any car in person, or at the minimum viewing tons of pictures and/or a video, trying to value it is nearly impossible. Of course you can always run a blue book value (NADA, or KBB), but that is still only a generic price....some cars may be meticulously maintained in EXCELLENT condition and others may need some attention and some flaws...it is all relevant when pricing a car for sale or making an offer to purchase one.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I've been watching G1 Insight prices very closely for about a year now. This includes cars sold on this website, on BAT, and the facebook/CL market. Assuming there is no warranty left on your IMA battery, and also assuming there are no CELs or major issues that need to be addressed, and assuming the car is in near-mint condition, I think $5k is fair for buyer and seller. I've seen several cars sell in the last few months that had about the same mileage as yours and were in very nice condition for around that price. Give or take $1000 more depending on how quick you want to sell it, how desperate the buyer is to obtain it, whether they have to travel to get it or have it shipped, etc.

For reference, I personally sold a near-mint 140k '01 blue for $6k last year, IMA still had 2+ years warranty.

Thanks for keeping it so nice! Always good to see one in nice shape.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Depending on what your exact goals are - get top $?, sell to an enthusiast?, minimal fuss? etc. - options vary. But, typically I think a car as you've described should probably be posted at 'Bring a Trailer':

I was looking at that a while ago and saw Insights going for way more than I thought they'd ever get, like $10,000 and up. Some of them weren't even all that great. 109k miles isn't pristine, but the earlier/perhaps one of the earliest? production numbers, relatively low miles, and probably excellent condition are all good things...

The values people are posting above seem too low - $5-7k is like top dollar for perhaps a typical excellent condition car, not one that has characteristics that border on collectible. Basically, I would have thought those values were about right - before I actually saw what they were going for on bring-a-trailer. I guess there's a few people out there who have the money and see the collectability of the car, and they pay a serious premium for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm familiar with collector cars and the market, having been involved in the hobby since the late 60's. BAT prices continue to floor me on what I consider cars sold way over street value. This is probably the best venue....for a seller.... to auction a car. "No reserve" auctions seems to sell well.
I personally would never buy a car without inspecting it personally, unless the price was "parts car" cheap. Photos always flatter a car. Spending at least an hour going over a car will give a much better idea about a cars condition. Years ago, I bought a Matador Coupe off EBay- but the car was close enough to personally inspect. I bid that car with confidence, and won the auction.

·
Super Moderator
8,988 Posts
I'd place it on Bring-a-Trailer. It will get linked to this site pretty quickly. You'll need lots of pictures to show its condition. Detail the car and be sure to fix any little flaws which might distract. You didn't say anything about the current hybrid battery so be prepared to answer that question right away. If the battery is 1-2 years old, with a receipt, you might be ok on that.

The reserve/no reserve is a perpetual question. Personally I like to set a reserve at the minimum price which would make me relatively happy. Otherwise, someone may "cherry pick" you on a slow week.

If the battery is as I indicated, and the car is pretty much pristine, I think the car should bring somewhere between 7K and 10K - maybe more. The market for Insights has been improving with increasing gas prices. JMHO

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree, the market is going up. It's relatively low miles, looks pretty clean, sounds well maintained, and it has a very low VIN number which might make it more collectable if it weren't for having what would be high mileage on a real collector's car.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
^ Agree with that last idea: 109,000 miles I'm pretty sure is too much to make it a 'true collectible' car. But it does have relatively low miles and a low VIN, which push it into territory of still being quite collectible...

I don't know, I'm not really sure I understand the logic driving the 'super collectible' premiums, what separates that "true collectible" car from something simply 'pretty collectible'... like I don't really understand the fascination some people have with stuff that's still in the original packaging, has the manual, the paperwork, all that. It seems pretty twisted to me.

In practical terms, the Insight with 109000 miles is actually probably better than the one with only, say, 20000 miles, as the one with 109k has been driven enough to keep stuff 'lubricated' and fully functional, whereas the one driven only 20k probably has, I don't know, stuff that's brittle, potentially not seized exactly but not ready for prime time... Clean the 109k one up real good, perhaps professional detailing, so there's little to no grease and dirt and grime and you'd have a really nice seemingly collectible car... It's the type of car most Insight owners would love to have - because we know they can last, yet perhaps we wouldn't be subjected to that twisted premium price...

I'm definitely at a solid $8k point. If I was a normal Insight person and actually had money, $8000 would be a perfectly reasonable price to pay and for the seller to get. When you think about how much car you get for that money, compared to new cars, it's actually a very good deal...

$1000-2000 for a beater, average.
$2000-4000 for a nice, well-maintained, normal miles-driven car (say around 170-220k miles)
$4000-8000 for an exceptional, blemish-free, low-to-medium mile car (120k-180k)
$8000-16,000 for the pristine super-low mile car (under 50k miles, I'd guess)...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts