Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably an easy one for you Insight veterans...

I bought my 02 Insight from a MINI dealer where they had the IMA battery replaced under warranty.

What is the warranty on the new battery.

Thank you ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
What is the warranty?

In most cases the warranty is whatever the balance of the original warranty was on the original battery-it does not start over or rollover unless the customer paid something toward the cost of the replacement.

Go to a Honda dealer with the vin #, and they can look up on the computer and tell you exactly what warranty is still in effect on the vehicle/battery/emissions/etc.

HTH

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
It depends because of where it was first sold. In CARB states it's longer.
That's not true for Gen 1 Insights. The IMA warranty was extended for all 2000-2004 Insight to 10 years/150,000 miles regardless of the original sale state. For all 2005-2006 Insights regardless of the original sale state, the IMA warranty is 8 years/80,000 miles. Any battery pack replaced under warranty is covered only by the IMA warranty. For example, if the battery pack in your 2000 Insight was replaced 9 years after its original in-service date, the replacement battery pack would be under warranty for only 1 year.

If you bought a battery pack from Honda after your IMA warranty had expired, it would be covered by a separate warranty (3 years?).

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I bought my 02 Insight from a MINI dealer where they had the IMA battery replaced under warranty.

What is the warranty on the new battery.
CharlieDog is correct. Your battery pack, regardless of when it was installed, is covered by the IMA warranty which is 10 years from the original in-service date of the car or 150,000 miles driven since the car was new (157,500 miles for certain Insights covered by the results of a lawsuit), which ever occurs first. If the in-service date of your Insight is more than 10 years ago or your Insight has been driven more than 150,000 miles, your battery pack is no longer under warranty.

Unless the Mini dealer replaced the battery pack quite some time ago or the in-service date of your Insight was significantly later than 2002, it's difficult for me to understand how the Mini dealer could have had the battery pack replaced under warranty. Hopefully, the Mini dealer was being honest with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts