Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would get some feedback on how temperature affects your MPG. I have read posts where you guys live in insanely cold places and how that affects your MPG but what about other climates.
For me I have noticed a big difference in MPG based on temp, I was getting 59 to 60 MPG when the temperatures were at 50s to 60s, now that it is hitting the 80s i'm touching 64MPG that is a big increase for such a small temp gain!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I live in northern NM where we experience warm summers and cold winters. I keep a running spreadsheet to track fuel economy and definitely see the effect of the seasons.

A few things to note on the graph below:
-I got the car in late summer, 2012 and it took about nine months to learn how to drive it to get decent fuel economy. It did not help that this learning curve occurred over the winter where the fuel economy suffers due to the effects of the cold.
-I got another Insight about two years ago and used that car more than the one that I track with this spreadsheet, so the data for the last two years is a bit more sporadic. I did start using this car more recently.
-There are always outlier full-tank MPG readings, like for road trips, weird weather, new tires, etc.
-The red line (running average of full tank MPG results) has settled in a bit above 71 MPG for my use of the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So Do you get 70 mpg on flat terrain or is it hilly like in Oregon? I drove my new to me 2000 mt to Bend Oregon about 130 miles each way with the summit at 5000 plus feet a rise of 4000 feet from start. I did about 55 mpg on the first leg and returning I brought the overall average to 65 mpg for 260 miles total. I was pretty happy with that except the engine light came on and I apparently have a bad Coil, had to limp home the last 20 miles on 2 cylinders

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
If the questions are directed at me:

The monthly temperatures where I live and where I work are shown below.

The elevation profile of my typical commute (one way, starting at the left of the graph) is also shown below. The drive home is the reverse with lots of downhill FCO time.

Of the Insight owners on this forum, I think I have one of the highest elevation locations and greatest elevation change commutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts