Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are plenty of posts from the MT crowd about great mileage.

Just wondering what kind of mileage other CVT owners are getting. I'm currently getting a LMPG of 57.5, but I expect that to drop a bit now that I've added 185/60/14 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/s tires. No complaints though. The ride at 44 psi and the handling are phenomenal and before these tires my battery pack never got much of a drain. It was almost always fully charged since 95% of my driving is highway.

I'm hoping that the little bit of extra workout for the battery will be good for it and prevent any overcharging issues I've read about.

Would love to hear from other CVTs about how they're doing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been getting from 55 to 62 mpg. I run 45psi in all 4 tires. It seems that the hotter it gets here, the better my mileage gets. Most of my driving is in stop and go traffic. This is one great car fog mileage. :D 8)

·
Registered
92 Posts
My first 1000 miles I had trouble getting over 55mpg. But lately I have been getting over 60 pretty consistently on my commute to and from work. Part of that I guess is the engine breaking in, part I'm getting better at driving it. Last week was my first full week of over 60mpg days.

My lmpg is not quite at 55, I was saddled with a horrendous lmpg when I got it from the dealer something like 24mpg. I guess somebody drove it home a few times with the "S" button pushed, or they let it sit idling to charge the battery pack.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LMPG

Griller,

Do you know that you can reset the LMPG? Instructions are in the owner's manual.

I got my 2003 with 21k miles on it and an LMPG of 54. Since I want to see what MY lifetime mpg is, I reset it and now have an accurate reading of the mileage that I am getting since I took ownership. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Spacebug

Yes I know it can be reset, thanks though.

I didn't reset it for two reasons:
1)because I wanted to have a true reading for the liftime of the car since I bought it new, and
2) I figured I would overwhelm the dealers cruddy mileage soon enough (call me impatient to complain about it lol)

The true liftime mpg is fun for figuring out how many tanks of gas you have put in the car. It blows people away when I tell them I bought the car in March and am only now on my 5th tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The best mileage I got with my CVT was 72mpg for a 10 mile level run. I have averaged around 62mpg for a 2,000 mile run before. These are all freeway drives. My in city drives have usually been much less.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I rarely drive hwy. In suburban driving i average 50-53mpg. Prius owner i know say they get low mpg because of the hilly terrain. On hwy i get 54-60mpg. I have not gone on too terribly far of trips, most was about 250miles each way.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I get about 55 PMG during the warm months and 51 during the cold months.

·
Registered
495 Posts
There are plenty of posts from the MT crowd about great mileage.

Just wondering what kind of mileage other CVT owners are getting.
... Would love to hear from other CVTs about how they're doing.
l

Got over a thousand miles on the "Silver Bullet" now and am finally getting to learn now to drive it. These days it's not unusual for short runs (30 miles or so) to get mpg in the mid-sixties. If I get less than forty mpg at the end a given day, I am disappointed but that doesn't happen too much any more. Best I did so far was on a 24+ mile run. Got 97.1 mpg on that one.

I do pay a lot of attention to the moving "slider bar" indicating mpg at any given moment and try like the devil to keep it on the high side of fifty or better at all times but that doesn't always work out due to traffic conditions.

Overall and as viewed on this end the "Silver Bullet" is one well thought out piece of engineering. As for those who don't have them, those folks have my sympathy.

Fred

·
Registered
7 Posts
I probably win for worst MPG. I'm at just over 63k miles on my 2002, and my lifetime MPG is just shy of 43. We do a lot of roud trips in my car, through the middle of nowhere, where my speed is normally about 80-85. Plus, just following traffic on the SoCal freeways will average you about that same speed. I guess I shouldn't complain that my MPG is crappy, considering I don't drive too economically, but still, I think it might be a bit on the low side even for my driving habits.

And just FYI, when I bought the car new in 02, it had less than 1k miles on it, and the LMPG was only about 47 or 48 back then... it's only been going down since.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I can't say for sure if a LMPG of 43 is low for a CVT being driven at 80-85 mph as I've never had my CVT above 75 mph. I can consistently get 55-60 at more reasonable highway speeds 0f 60-65 mph though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
CVT Milage - New '06

With 1550 miles to date on my new '06 CVT, LMPG is 42.3. Most mileage is putting around town. Obviously hoping for better when I hit the slabs. Trying to come to grips with a bad engine bay whining sound when steady state cruising...not sure if that's a milage prob or not. Like all fellow Insight owners, learning to extract the max from this little jewel is a welcome driving challenge.
scootr06
'06 Silver CVT #385

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think the whining sound you refer to is the CVT and is normal. My CVT and some other CVT owners have also mentioned a whining sound. Not loud, but enough to be heard. With a window open or the radio on, I don't even notice it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure in MPG. Around 48 I think. With only 1,700 kms our average is 4.7 L/100 km, but I have had some good drives, between 3.1 L/100 km and 3.5L/100 km.

Our numbers suck because the mechanic who installed the Daytime Running Lights left the poor thing idling for 2 hours while he did the work. Now I have to work extra hard to improve the LMPG.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm currently hoovering around 51.7-51.9 LMPG. Do quite a bit of city driving and on the highway usually go around 65-70 so probably not getting the best I could. Still excellent though. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I’ve only had my car for 6 days. For some reason I can get 60~62 mpg coming home from work (53 miles) with the A/C on (low and for only part of the way). However going to work in the morning I haven’t done better than 57 mpg. I live in Ohio where it is flat as a pancake so it’s not up hill. I don’t think it is the temperature, I have been going in and leaving at 8 so it has cooled off a little by the time I leave. Dose the car pick up on my bad vibes going in to work? :roll:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you leave the car outside in the sun all day, the engine will be a lot warmer than when it sits overnight. The economy over the first couple of miles when it's cold is not good at all. Plus the tires are cold, and thus stiffer, and sidewall flex is a huge contribution to drag.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My best mileage in the CVT was just last week. It was a ~25-30 mile drive down to the coast and back and I ended up coming in at 69.7 MPG (based off of the reading in the car, obviously). I was very impressed by this result because it was not a flat drive. It's a slight downhill grade there and slightly uphill back. I pulled it off by running no AC and driving 55 MPH. On the way down another Insight blew past me, probably going 65. :? :shock: :oops:

Anyway, the car's average MPG is only 46 MPG because it's driven probably 90% city and on short errands. Also, I live on a hill and to go anywhere it's all downhill, and the returning uphill is just terrible. The gas mileage you lose going up is nowhere near made up for by going down, even if you coast and regen the whole way. Going down into the valley nearby kills my fuel economy, while if I stay up on the table top it tends to be a little downhill, but still a little better.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Milage for a CVT ...

This morning I drove just about sixty miles, and it was hot! Ninety degrees farenheit or close to it. At no time did I go over sixty MPH. In most cases I cruised along between forty five and fifty.

From what is known as Blakeslee Corners to the Park Avenue Exit for Stroudsburg PA I was reading 97.9 MPG for the 27 mile run; the first half of the run, and yes, a part of the run was down hill. Milage like that tells me that 100 MPG is very possible with these little cars over that same course.

On the way back, the total MPG was reading 74.9; going right back up the same hill, at the same speeds, in the same heat.

Although the return run was twenty five percent lower than the first, I'm not complaining. The "Silver Bullet" is earning it's keep as far as I'm concerned.

Fred

1 - 20 of 33 Posts