Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to replace my 12v with lithium lightweight battery. I also want it as energy storage . Problem is there are so many choices and i have no idea which one to get. Anybody know about them and which is a good choice?

I know it needs a built in bms to handle the charging it will get from the dc dc converter since its set up for lead acid

Here are a few ive seen on internets

https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/

·
Registered
180 Posts
Whoa, cool. I wish it was easy to decide on form factors, or that they came in the same size designations for lead acid starting batteries. I wouldn't mind if most of the case was empty space as long as it weighed less overall, or filled the whole thing and had a massive capacity or something.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i was looking at similar one at sams club. The extra money is not worth the 5 pounds you save

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that both AGM and lithium batteries charge more efficiently than traditional sealed or unsealed lead acids - that is, less is lost as heat. Although I'm sure it's just a drop in the bucket, I'd go that route when/if I replace mine.

However, I understand lithium doesn't work as well in extreme climates, and during winter it's not uncommon for my car to start on the 12v, given that we often see extremes of -20 to -40F.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've run these in about 4 different cars now, including my Insight (also a Nissan Leaf, Subaru WRX which it will crank just fine), and put their smaller version in my Honda scooters. $99 on Amazon. You'll want to purchase some auto terminal adapters since it is a marketed as a motorcycle battery and doesn't have "posts." Although, I've run them without the posts too by just mountng them straight to the circle battery clamp. I usually go dumpster diving for foam bricks to use as lightweight spacers underneath the battery to get it to OEM height so the clamp works. May need to shim it with a piece or two of cardboard when you get it close.

https://www.amazon.com/YTX14-BS-Lithium-Sealed-Battery-300CCA/dp/B01G7SCMVI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1499694097&sr=1-1&keywords=MMG4

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think you folks are crazy for putting a lithium battery in place of the 12v lead acid battery, unless the lithium has a battery management system built into it.

Otherwise, you are surely asking for a fire!!

Lithium batteries require a totally different charge profile than lead acid, which is why the lithium would need a BMS built into it to be safe. Anything short of that is asking for big trouble!

Buy a lead acid, AGM, or lithium with a built in BMS and be happy....and safe!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I put a 20Ah lithium battery and supercaps in my Insight, which has a Meanwell DC-DC converter supplying 12v. I opted for LiFePO4 chemistry since they don't catch on fire, and have the caps to buffer large spikes in charge and discharge current (especially during cold weather).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts