Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,693 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you know what you're doing and what you're up against is one thing. But plenty of not-so-knowledgeable people read these threads. I just wanted to throw the warning out there to at least give them a clue.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
^ If you're referring to lithium options, seems like most of the 12V ones are purpose-built, with some kind of BMS, and I'm pretty sure they're all LiFe cells. You'd think they'd be safe if they're being offered by real companies with something to lose... If you're referring to using Insight sticks, seems like a pretty safe option - I've been running them for a couple years* now. You might end up with a dead battery once in a while, because the capacity is so relatively small and certain driving circumstances can lead to a low charge level. But besides that I don't think there's any safety issue... just make sure you hook everything up right...

*Actually, it's been 3 years, almost to the day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You could always save weight by only filling the tank to half full.
Total cost - zero :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
EQ1 - I was referring to the lithium batteries for the safety warning. One of the first reviews I clicked on after a google search showed a guy's 4 wheeler with smoke pouring out from the battery area after installing a lithium battery.
I think you'd be pretty safe with NiMH or NiCD. I've flown RC battery powered aircraft for years from NiCD to NiMH to LiIon to LiPolymer to LiFePO4..so I'm aware of the differences in battery charge/discharge characteristics and the safety aspect. I just kinda' don't see the point of it on the small cranking battery that the Insight has. Probably it's just me. Maybe one more thing to consider is that lithium has a shelf life. If you're purchasing one for a cranking battery...get a fresh one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have always loved the first edition Insight and its mega efficiency! I have a Lithium Iron Phosphate 12V battery in my Tesla Model S and the company I got it from now has a 12V for the Insight too! So, I wanted to share it;

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
I was looking at various lithium 12V batteries the other day - and the prices were outrageous, like >$350. I noticed that even lead-acid batteries seem pricey these days... I think there's better uses for money than way-too-much-battery for the Insight -- a car that barely needs a 12V battery in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
5,065 Posts
WalMart U-1 lawnmower batteries work great. ~$25-$40.

Sam

Reactions: boojum

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts