Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!
I am looking at an 2000 texas insight with an '06 battery replacement. It qualifies for the 150k battery warranty, and although i live in ny, the fact that it came from texas, I think determines that it gets the extended battery warranty.
I am wondering what other hybrid related items on the car (i.e bcm, mcm, special cat) may fail over the next 100k or about 5 yrs i plan to own it, and what the projected cost might be.
How long do these items usually last, or after how many years/miles do they fail?
I assume the second battery which was honda installed under warranty will not give me problems, but what about all the other stuff? The warranty extension sure would help more on say an '05 insight! :p

Thanks for any advice or info, Frank.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just talked to honda america, and they confirmed that the 150k/10yr extended warranty applies to all 50 states. Looks like I will start a search closer to home.
What model years are best in terms of reliabilty of bcm,mcm,etc?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've got a 2000 Insight with just over 65k miles now. I bought it in August 07 with 52k miles. I've had to replace both catalytic converters and the exhaust from the cats back (they clogged the muffler). That was all covered under Honda's 8/80k warranty. It would've been about a $2000 repair though if I'd had to pay for it.

I just had to replace the Oxygen sensor. My dealer charged $460 for that.

That's all I've had to do beyond normal maintenance, but I don't have 96k miles.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, that really stinks, good thing you had the warranty. Is yours a cvt or 5spd? I just got a 2000 98k 5spd from a local school teacher and it is in great shape. I cleaned the egr, and changed the tranny fluid, and this weekend I will do the spark plugs. Only had it for a couple weeks, and about 1000 miles, but so far so good!

frank :eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine's a 5spd. It had the spark plugs done before I bought it. Mine's had a more interesting past...I'm the 4th owner. The longest anyone owned it was 32k miles. I'm not sure why...its been great to me.

How do you clean the EGR? I've had the shuddering that people claim is caused by the EGR, but I haven't had a chance to look into it yet. I've been spending too much time on the road...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To clean the egr, you need a 12mm socket, ratchet with at least a 5-6 inch extension, some carb cleaner and wd40 or pb blaster. remove egr by the two bolts and unplug it. fill up the two holes in the egr with carb cleaner and let soak. do not spray anything down the holes downstream of the egr, as that leads to the air intake, and you may hydrolock your engine with uncompressable liquid in the combustion chamber. Apply 12v from your battery with jumper wires to (dont have service manual in front of me) pos pin 4, and neg pin 6, and cycle the valve a few dozen times while spraying more carb cleaner into the now open valve. dump out carb cleaner and fill with wd40 or similar product and soak overnight and cycle the valve in the beginning and at the end just for kicks. empty it out and reinstall. It works for some, and def helped my herky jerky shuddering problem. It could also be an electronic problem, in which case you need to get a new egr from majestic honda for $157. For more detailed instructions, use the search function, and scroll through the mostly horrible results that this search engine spits at you, and you will find a few that do match your query. :)
frank

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you "budomove"/Frank for posting the detailed instructions. I cleaned the EGR on my 2000 w/98k and the jerking and hesitation I was having for the past couple of months has gone away. Again, thank you for the detailed advice!

I bought mine last year from a dentist at 88k. Honda had already replaced the battery under warranty at 80k. Other than that, I ignored the "Check Engine" light that was on when I bought it and was rewarded last Fall with a recall letter to reprogram the ECM.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re:

budomove said:
For more detailed instructions, use the search function, and scroll through the mostly horrible results that this search engine spits at you, and you will find a few that do match your query. :)
frank
Worst search engine of any forum that I regularly visit. You can't search on the three-letter term "EGR" and if you add additional terms, such as "valve" you get all instances of valve and all instances of EGR. Useless.

Add that to the fact that the links to the most often-cited posts are broken, and you have virtually no hope of finding a relevant post ... unless you have already read it, and you happen to remember a unique word used in the post. :( - Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts