Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new Insight owner

I have the CVT automatic. I averaging 47.8 miles per gallon. Now I drive hard lots of traffic, hills, etc, I also have the A/C on all the time.

Is this OK, I am not complaining my last car got 19 mpg on a good day. I just noticed alot of people with much higher mpg.

Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
That's about right for a start. Check around in here to find hints on how to get better: Higher tire pressure, less A/C, appropriate use of "S" mode, etc...

·
Registered
231 Posts
That mileage sounds about right considering the conditions that you mentioned. Here are a few things to try:

1) Drive slower and less aggressively.
2) Use the Econ mode when running the AC.
3) Set the AC temperature as high as you comfortably can.

Also, keep in mind that many of the members on this forum go to extreme measures to get their amazing mileage numbers (like driving below the speed limit.) If you drive above the speed limit like most people, then you'll probably get 48 - 55 MPG.

When I first got my Insight I was trying hard to squeeze every bit of MPG out of it. Now I've reverted to my old ways, and I just drive it like a regular car. I only get about 53 MPG, but I have the satisfaction of knowing that I can drive at 75 MPH over hilly terrain, and still get excellent mileage.

James

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am a new Insight owner ... averaging 47.8 miles per gallon. Now I drive hard lots of traffic, hills, etc, I also have the A/C on all the time ... I am not complaining my last car got 19 mpg on a good day. I just noticed alot of people with much higher mpg.
I to have a CVT "THE SILVER BULLET" and as others have suggested, your MPG figures seem about right.

These are not race cars. They are intended for long range running and if you want to radically improve those MPG figures consider the following suggestions:

.1. When and where possible - drive slower. get in the right hand lane and get used to driving at 45 to 50 mpg (about 2000 rpm indicated).

.2. Carrying a lot of "cargo"? If you don't need it, leave it behind.

.3. If you haven't already, start paying attention to your CURRENT MILES PER GALLON indicator - that often moving "slider bar" indicator on your dash instrumentation.

.4. If you haven't try "gliding" when and where it's safe to do so; i.e., take your foot off of the gas when going down hills etc. On a straight-away, once you're up to fifty or so, take your foot off of the gas and "glide" - again, only when and where it's safe to do so. These llittle cars will "glide" for quite a while - their fuselage is an intentional "slippery" design.

.5. When and where practical, look ahead and "glide" up to those red lights.

.6. No "jack rabbit" reaction when the light turns green.

.7. When and where practical, pull over and let the tail-gater(s) go by.

.8. AND do your best not to snicker too loudly when those gas guzzler SUVs go by; (had one guy recently tell me that on a good day he was getting FIFTEEN (15) mpg and he was proud of it!)

Aside from item No. 8, while you won't do it consistantly (time and circumstance(s) will be the limiting factors) your MPG will come very close to what a lot of Insight owners with manual transmissions are getting - not that the CVT figures are anything to be ashamed of.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
47.8 mpg driving hard in traffic with hills AND the A/C on is pretty good. I'm lucky to get 48 mpg driving conservatively on secondary roads with no traffic with A/C on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
JCP,
I have a 2006 CVT with just over 2k miles on it now. 47-48 mpg is about what I get on Saturdays driving around in heavy traffic. No options for slow driving or coasting to a stop in those conditions.
By contrast I am regularly getting over 60mpg now on my early morning and afternoon commutes across town. (I dont need to run the AC though). So you could very well be doing just about what you can expect given your drive.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I drive a MT Insight soooo my milage is bound to be higher than a CVT, but I believe the driving tips apply to all Insights equally :)
I have had my 06 MT about 4 months now (gee I love this car) and I have been getting an average of 56 mpg without really trying. When I drive with an eye on the FCD (fuel consumtion display) I get milage around 66 per gallon. I rarely drive on the highway but when I have I was up in the 70's for mpg. The idea is to drive gently, use econ, pulse and glide helps...that is where you accelerate up to or a little over speed then feather the gas to keep the FCD on the high side of 50 as much as possible. Pump the tires up, or so I hear...I still haven't pumped up my tires myself. Anyway follow all the great tips in the forum! and your milage should improve at least somewhat. I sort of believe the extreme hypermilers only drive downhill :lol:

·
Registered
495 Posts
. . . I believe the driving tips apply to all Insights equally

. . . I have been getting an average of 56 mpg without really trying.

. . . I drive with an eye on the FCD

. . . I get milage around 66 per gallon.

. . . use econ, pulse and glide

. . . feather the gas to keep the FCD on the high side of 50 as much as possible.

. . . Pump the tires up,

. . . follow all the great tips in the forum! and your milage should improve . . .

. . . I believe . . . hypermilers only drive downhill
BINGO!

:)

Fred

1 - 8 of 8 Posts