Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys;
I'm tired of using my el-cheapo $15 floormats. They aren't big enough and they move around on the floor. I want something more like the stock Honda mats.

But the cost of the Honda mats is killing me. I'm seeing $70 here in NC from the dealership. Is this the going rate elsewhere? Has anyone out there identified an OEM-like replacement that's cheaper? (ie: $35 or less?)

I'm also looking at making my own footrest plate, similar to what the guys here on InsightCentral mfd and sold, but completely aluminum. Anyone else make their own? How about clutch and brake pad replacements?

Thanx
James Brigman

·
Registered
102 Posts
I picked up some thick rubber ones at WalMart -- I'd used them before in a Jeep Wrangler, and had been very happy with them. They come in a grey color that's almost a perfect match, and they cost around $13 each, if I recall correctly. They fill the footwell but don't interfere with the pedals, they stay put, keep the rug clean, and feel fine underfoot.

Not an OEM look, but I'm happy with them. I saw in a different post somewhere up here that someone else bought them, and believed that they helped reduce road noise. I'm not sure I can make that claim, but they have to be at least as good as the much thinner, lighter weight originals.

Good luck,
MF

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The floor space on the Insight is trully amazing! I'm using uncut truck floormats as the regular ones for cars were too small. :shock:

As for the footrest, I'm thinking of using PVC plastic similar to that used in Electrical conduit. It machines beautifully and is incredibly durable due to a 30 percent stone powder content. Stainless steel is great and can be laser cut if you are doing a run of them. Lexan or Acrylic could also work and are sometimes available in colours as surplus cut off pieces.

Aluminum should be avoided as it creates a black staining pigment when it wears. The black will gradualy migrate everywhere your feet touch the carpet. Anodizing the aluminum piece would help for a time but eventually wear through, also, setup costs are prohibitive for less than 20 pieces.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
At least you guys have the choice of parts supply. The USA websites are not allowed to export and I cannot find the equivalent discount UK parts websites. Looks like I will still have to pay full price at the dealerships :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Carpet option

Another option that I've seen Brian's (IC site creator) Insight is indoor-outdoor carpet - gray in color. It can be cut to any shape and it actually looks pretty good. Glue some rubber on the back for added strength perhaps.

Just a thought.

Ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Silver Streaker said:
At least you guys have the choice of parts supply. The USA websites are not allowed to export and I cannot find the equivalent discount UK parts websites. Looks like I will still have to pay full price at the dealerships :(
I'll act as the middle man to get them shipped to you, if you will help me get some stuff for a VW shipped to here... you game? [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts