Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an opportunity to purchase a new 03 Insight. The dealer is asking about $16,000. It has the CVT transmission. Is this a fare price? I need to replace my wife’s old Olds. She has a short 25 mile a day compute. I have a 04 Toyota Prius and wouldn’t think of buying a non-hybrid anymore.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah I'm curious about this as well. There's a certified Honda dealer about 10 miles from where I live that has 1 Insight in stock. It's a 2000 manual, and they want 11,600 for it. That seems like a bit much, I've seen them on Ebay for like 8,000. Are they overcharging?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
HI,

The car is new,
you have a full warrenty as a new car,
it is 20% less (I think that the MRSP is $20000).
I am not in the US but I would consider this a good price, I would buy it.
And I prefer CVT for city use (I have a 5 speed only because cvt did not exist in 2000)

·
Registered
652 Posts
The price is good considering its new with the tax deduction. I would also consider the older Prius and Civic as a good city commuter. I tend to like the Prius more for city driving and the 5sp insight more for highway cruising. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
222 Posts
dbiltcli said:
Hi, I have an opportunity to purchase a new 03 Insight. The dealer is asking about $16,000. It has the CVT transmission. Is this a fare price? I need to replace my wife’s old Olds. She has a short 25 mile a day compute. I have a 04 Toyota Prius and wouldn’t think of buying a non-hybrid anymore.

Thanks.
I think that's a good deal. Maybe a great deal. Plus if he's asking 16k, you should be able to offer and have him accept less.

To compare, there is a manual 03 with 900 miles on ebay that just ended at $17,000 with RESERVE NOT MET (!)

I'm not sure what that dealer is thinking...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... vi%3A1%3A1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your help. I will see if he can come down a little. If not it still sounds like a fare price.

Any problems with the battery since the car has been sitting for a few months?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
The IMA battery is probably going to be empty. No assist for a while but it will recharge with time.

Ni-Mh are not really sensible to that kind of treatment so it is OK

I would not expect the 12V battery to last long. It does not like the Insight environment or is is not of good quality.
If it turns out bad in a year (mine lasted about 3 years 2000-2002, that is 2003-2005 for you), I replaced it with a Civic type battery that was half the price of the Insight Fu..something battery.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I concur. It sounds like like a great opportunity if you want a CVT.

Have you tried a 5 speed before you take the plunge?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts