Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what size socket will work to remove and replace the spark plugs? I've got a socket that fits the plugs and figured that would work, but it's too fat to fit down the hole.

I had everything ready to go today before I put things back together after my A/C crazy parts replacing epic, but unfortunately it didn't work so I had to put everything back together so I can drive the car tomorrow. So a project for another day. But if someone can tell me the proper size socket that will work, I'd appreciate it :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes 5/8" fits the plug, that's what I used, but the socket is too wide to go down the hole to get to the plug. Is there some kind of slender socket that people use? Didn't think this was a difficult question! A regular spark plug socket will not fit!

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
They make a 14 MM spark plug socket, which is a 5/8 socket thin wall. .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's actually a 3/8" socket that I used... fits the plug... but not when it's installed in the engine. I will look for the thin wall. Didn't expect to have this issue

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
It is a 3/8" drive, not a 3/8" socket for the plugs. Got a Walmart, Lowes or Home Depot close by, they have it at a reasonable price.?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, i used a 3/8" socket (on a 3/8" drive wrench). Fits the plug, wont go down the hole. The outside diameter of a standard sparkplug socket is too wide. I see there's a 20mm diameter socket available on amazon for cheap.

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
Sigh. Just go get a 3/8 drive, 5/16 spark plug socket.

Sam
I really want some of those 5/16" spark plugs. They must lower the car's weight several ounces. I'm going to try to pick some up while at the HybridFest in Dayton:D

Seriously, there are two common plug socket sizes, 5/8" and 13/16" . The Insight uses the 5/8", smallest of the two. I've never seen either socket with anything but 3/8" drive. A common socket, 20mm or otherwise, won't work because they aren't deep enough. Plug sockets are different from common deep sockets in that they have a foam rubber boot up inside the socket to grip the ceramic of the plug and therefore lift the plug out of the deep plug hole in the head. Too much information maybe. Like Sam says, just go any auto store and buy a 5/8" plug socket.

The link was right.

Oh wait. I now see that it is a Gen2. Probably still a 5/8, but best look in the owner's manual and be sure. Must be a slow news day.

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
My bad. Of course it's 5/8. I fixed my original post.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
Spark plugs use a 5/8 socket, a 16mm will also work. not a 14mm the standard equivalent to a 14mm is 9/16
Yes, but.....

Only a deep socket will engage the plug hex and turn it out. Unless you use the special 5/8" spark plug socket, it won't lift out of that deep plug well. You will have to fish it out with magnet or something.

OP buy a cheap 5/8" Spark Plug Socket at an auto parts store and lets be done with this frigging thread;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts