Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow. The unibody bent a lot. That must have been some impact. Not a biohazard total, though, so the driver is probably alive.

I find it funny the wheel skirts look mostly ok.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Looks like a Civic armrest to me.

Edit: I ran a report on this car. It looks like it passed emissions in July 2022, but totaled it in September 2022. Does anyone know who it could be?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I guess I have to say it before anybody else...

"That, there? It'll buff right out!"

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
I'd hate to see how poorly the G1 insight performs in NHTSA's modern small overlap frontal impact test... relative safety is almost certainly going to be the reason I finally stop driving an insight (whenever that happens).

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I'd hate to see how poorly the G1 insight performs in NHTSA's modern small overlap frontal impact test... relative safety is almost certainly going to be the reason I finally stop driving an insight (whenever that happens).
Yep that is one of the reasons I got an ID.4. Newer, bigger cars are a lot safer.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
I recently bought a B13 '91 Sentra SE-R, with a SR20DET swap in it. A.K.A the Nissan Tsuru in Mexico. They decided to make the B13 chassy all the way up to 2018(2017?)where it was discontinued for being a ZERO crash rating vehicle... I stumbled across the type of crash test you are speaking about and god forbid I ever get into a crash in this thing...

[Edit]: Found it! Remember this is a crash test from IIHS so no blood/gore/other unsightly images here.

• Wow
Reactions: DW_CT9A

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
Wow that is a night and day difference! G1 insight design is closer to 1991 than 2015.
I didn't think of that... Though I'm fairly certain 98-2000 is when safety improvements really started. Better crash beams, more crumple space, airbags, all of it really kicked off in about 98+MY cars.

·
Registered
404 Posts
There are two giant hexonical crumple zones in the front of the car. I took a picture of them when I was up at Scott's. I'll try to locate the pictures later tonight. The zones are designed to crumple like an accordion, there's a clip of this in one of the Honda engineering videos.

I've heard people talk crap about insights being dangerous because they are made up aluminum. I'm like but aluminum bends and absorbs shock better and is also three times stronger per pound than steel.

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
There are two giant hexonical crumple zones in the front of the car.
Super visible on the Cutaway Insight (Sawbite). The passenger side was originally 'cutaway', but I had to replace it with OEM due to NHTSA bumper requirements. Still have the 'cutaway' hexagon sitting on a shelf in my garage.

I've heard people talk crap about insights being dangerous because they are made up aluminum. I'm like but aluminum bends and absorbs shock better and is also three times stronger per pound than steel.
I say Insights are dangerous because they're small, old tech, only have two airbags, have no traction control, crash avoidance tech, and also the ABS is dangerously hyperactive.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts