Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
I'm not sure that's a crumple zone.
A hexagonal structure like that (ridge direction) will be incredibly strong in a frontal impact.
It's just designed for strength and lightness.

Azure Rectangle Slope Line Font

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The problem with the Insight is not the aluminum, it's the fact that it weighs about a third of most of the other cars on the road nowadays. And is low. A front-end crash into a barrier is one thing, but a diagonal collision with a massive lifted pickup is something else. :cry:

·
Registered
404 Posts
For it's size and weight class, the Insight is one of the safer cars. Of course some newer cars have autonomous safety features that could help in many situations. The insight has a four-star crash rating and five star rated small cars do exist.

Compare to a smart car which are of a similar weight and size. The smart car has a "strong protective cage" but lacks a frontal crumple zone. The front end crash tests that I saw showed that the g forces alone would be fatal. A human body can only decelerate so fast without turning into scrambled eggs.

Getting t boned by a lifted truck would suck for any vehicle. However if your driving a lifted truck or SUV then you are more likely to roll or loose control around a corner. SUVs are the most common car that I see in ditches during the winter.

Small cars are more agile and are easier to dodge bad drivers with. Look both ways when crossing intersections. Never trust that other drivers are going to do what they are supposed to do. Keep a safe stopping distance. Watch for deer. Do the things and you should be fine.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hmm. The safety ratings are higher then the 2011 Ford ranger, escape, and Honda CR-V. The 2011 dodge ram 1500 and 2500 have a better side impact rating (4 vs 5 stars) but they both received only 2 stars (vs 4 stars) for frontal impact... It would be bad to drive head on into a truck however it would be worse to be in a truck and to drive head on into a brick wall vs doing so in an insight. This must be because of the ratio of weight to crumple zone.

I wish there was a video of this.
They put frames from that crash in the 352 page nhtsa Honda insight crash report.

Reactions: Natalya

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
I'm not sure that's a crumple zone.
A hexagonal structure like that (ridge direction) will be incredibly strong in a frontal impact.
It's just designed for strength and lightness.
My understanding is the hexagon structure is an energy absorbing shear plane when it's forced back into the main frame (behind it), which acts as a piston that 'explodes' the hex outwards, absorbing massive amounts of energy. It's pretty clever.

Edit: The video posted in #23 is dope! How have I never seen that?

·
and two dogs
391 Posts
=The video posted in #23 is dope! How have I never seen that?
I have it on VHS and as an MP4 file (34 minutes 2.44 GB). The cover looks like this:
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle

There's an interesting still image at 29:03 of what appears to be a prototype with minor details that were changed for production:
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have it on VHS and as an MP4 file (34 minutes 2.44 GB). The cover looks like this:
View attachment 100198

There's an interesting still image at 29:03 of what appears to be a prototype with minor details that were changed for production:
View attachment 100199
[/QUOTE]

Can you post this video please? The one I linked to is only 19 minutes long.

·
and two dogs
391 Posts
It's a big MP4 file. I'm assuming it's not possible to post it on this forum, unless someone knows better?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wonder if someone could simply reach out to the IIHS and ask for crash information on the G1 to see if they have any videos that they haven't posted because why would they?

Update: I've reached out the IIHS. I'll let y'all know if anything good comes from it.
So, they had me register an account for the tech portal, IIHS TechData , but this is all they have available for insights:
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

There are two things that are obvious because of this:
*We need to come up with like 4 good condition insights to donate to the IIHS for testing
*I can now look at cool videos of cars being destroyed for science to my heart's content

·
and two dogs
391 Posts
Put it up on Youtube
Honda Insight 2000 - New Model Introduction
VHS cassette released by Honda Motor Europe Ltd for the launch of the Insight Gen 1, which was designed to be a practical, fun, environmentally friendly vehicle that would be the most fuel efficient car in the world.
Link:

Honda Insight 2000 - Sales Development
VHS cassette released by the Honda (UK) Institute for the launch of the Honda Insight Gen 1, explaining how the integrated motor assist (IMA) system works in the first production hybrid car available in the UK
Note impact structures at 8:42
Link:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Getting t boned by a lifted truck would suck for any vehicle. However if your driving a lifted truck or SUV then you are more likely to roll or loose control around a corner. SUVs are the most common car that I see in ditches during the winter.
I apologize if I’m remembering wrong, but I did an analysis of the gen1 insight fatalities from 2000-2009 and IIRC there were a total of 10 fatal crashes and all 10 were T-Bones and 9 of those were driver fatality with one being passenger (many were likely single occupant accidents). I had done the math at the time and this fatality rate was less than half the average of all cars for that period based on miles driven.

This is the fatality rate, not the accident rate.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
So, they had me register an account for the tech portal, IIHS TechData , but this is all they have available for insights:
View attachment 100209

There are two things that are obvious because of this:
*We need to come up with like 4 good condition insights to donate to the IIHS for testing
*I can now look at cool videos of cars being destroyed for science to my heart's content
It's too bad this wasn't a year and a half ago. I had 4 insights I got for less than 800. They all ran and drove (various friends own them now) and I wouldn't have minded donating them for science just to see how the tests would go.

• Sad
Reactions: ttsgeb

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
That's a cool video. Some interesting bits:
  • at 13:45, the first shots of the IMA pack show a casing made of white plastic with green sticks inside. So if anyone gets a car with a white battery pack, hold onto it - it's probably the prototype!
  • At 15:20 they show the BCM as having four voltage sensors and ten temperature sensors. It's the other way around!
  • The BCM provides the MCM with "battery state of charge, battery temperature, and, if needed, a request for battery protection." (which we are aware of)
At 22:19 in the first video @UK_MJN posted, you can clearly see the additional connector on the BCM. People have asked about this connector before; I have no idea what it does.
This:
Rectangle Font Adaptation Photographic film Terrestrial plant

Note that the battery case is white. This is likely the engineering prototype. The black circular connector is not in the center of the BCM case but at the edge which keeps it away from the green modules inside. It probably connects to CN1 on the BCM which connects to TXD1 and RXD1 of the MCU that does most of the work inside. That connector appears to have a line for the programming voltage for the on-chip flash/eeprom. So my guess is that this lets them reflash the BCM. Have we ever looked at the data lines on the BCM to see if they talk to us?

As for the round connector/hole to the left of it, maybe that was a way to pass other signals through for monitoring.

Would be interesting to see if there is any data on the TX/RX lines.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts