Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2001 Honda Insight (CVT, 80,500 miles) in to one of my local Honda car dealerships (Carmichael Honda) to get an oil change, tire rotation, transmission fluid exchange, and to get the coolant service done.

Everything seemed to be fine at first, but about an hour ago when I was starting my drive home from my girlfriend's house, I realized my heater wasn't working. I had the dial turned to 90 degrees and on full blast (as fast as you can go while in ECON) and all I was getting was cold air. I experimented with the ECON setting and the regular AUTO setting, and all the different modes (air at the face, air at the feet, air at the face & feet, air at the feet & defrost, etc.)...still nothing.

Frustrated, I turned the air off, but I left the temperature dial turned all the way to the right, and after about 5 to 10 min I started feeling some warmth, so then I turned the air back on to the ECON setting and full blast at my face with the dial still set to 90 degrees. The heat was working again...but after 5 minutes or so I felt the air getting colder and eventually it went back to blowing out cold air and I haven't been able to get any heat since.

When I took my car in this morning, the heat was working no problem. Is there any service that I had done that could possibly affect/cause this?

And to top it all off, I just realized those idiots put effing 10W30 oil in my car, and not the Honda recommended OW20 synthetic oil. I've taken my car to this dealership a few times before and they've always put OW20 in without me even asking or mentioning it.

First thing in the morning, I plan on driving back to the dealer and making them drain the oil they put in and put in the correct OW20 oil and make them figure out what the hell they did to the heater.

Does anyone have any insight on what the hell these idiots at this Honda dealership did to my Insight?

·
Administrator
11,209 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I appreciate the quick response. So when I go back there in the morning should I just tell them that they need to bleed the cooling system again (and to put the correct oil in of course)?

Are there any ill effects (besides crappy MPG) that this car can suffer by having incorrect, general purpose motor oil (like 10W30) put in it for the 60 or so miles I will have driven on it by the morning?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I just changed my fluid and added a block heater a few weeks ago. They did not follow the procedure, maybe missed step 1:

1. Start the engine. Set the heater temperature control dial to maximum heat, then
turn off the engine
. Make sure the engine and radiator are cool to the touch

Tighten the radiator drain plug securely.
8. Remove, drain and reinstall the coolant reservoir. Fill the tank to the MAX
mark with Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 (P/N OL 999-9001).
2006 Honda Insight
2000-06 ENGINE Cooling System - Insight
9. Loosen the air bleed bolt (A) in the water outlet, then pour Honda Long Life
Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 into the radiator to the bottom of the filler neck. Do
not let coolant spill on any electrical parts or the paint. If any coolant spills,
rinse it off immediately.
Engine Coolant Capacities [Including the reservoir capacity of 0.36 L
(0.10 US gal)]
At Coolant Change:
2000-2003 models: 2.5 L (0.66 US gal)
2004-2006 models: 2.3 L (0.61 US gal)
After Engine Overhaul:
2000-2003 models: 4.0 L (1.06 US gal)
2004-2006 M/T models: 3.9 L (1.03 US gal)
2004-2006 CVT models: 4.0 L (1.06 US gal)
NOTE: Always use Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant
Type 2 (P/N OL 999-9001). Using a non-Honda
coolant can result in corrosion, causing the cooling
system to malfunction or fail.
Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 is a
mixture of 50% antifreeze and 50% water. Premixing
is not required.
2006 Honda Insight
Fig. 18: Identifying Air Bleed Bolt In Water Outlet And Torque
Specifications
Courtesy of AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC.
10. Tighten the bleed bolt as soon as coolant starts to run out in a steady stream.
11. Pour Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 into the radiator to the
bottom of the filler neck, and install the radiator cap.
12. Remove the cap (A) from the water outlet, then install an 8 mm hose (B) and a
funnel (C).
2006 Honda Insight
Fig. 19: Installing Hose And Funnel On Water Outlet
Courtesy of AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC.
13. Pour Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 into the funnel until the
coolant level reaches the base of the funnel, then start the engine and let it idle.
14. Add Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 into the funnel as the level
goes down.
15. Stop the engine, then remove the funnel and the 8 mm hose from the water
outlet. Install the cap
2006 Honda Insight
16. Start the engine, and let it run until warmed up (radiator fan comes on at least
twice). Then, turn off the engine, and let it cool down.
17. If necessary, add more Honda Long Life Antifreeze Coolant Type 2 into the
radiator up to the base of the filler neck and into the reservoir up to the MAX
mark.
18. Clean up any spilled engine

This info is available in this forum as a pdf doc.

·
Registered
813 Posts
le sigh. Welcome to why most of us do our own oil changes, if not all of our own repairs.

Short answer: no, the 10W30 is not likely going to hurt it over 60mi, but get it swapped back to 0W20 ASAP. Frankly, you could probably run it on 10W30 with no long-term ill effects other than reduced fuel economy.

·
7,136 Posts
There isn't much difference viscosity wise between 20 and 30 weight. It will lower your fuel economy a bit, but that is about all.

The previous owner of Insight #2 ran 0W-30 its entire life for whatever reason, and it doesn't seem any worse for wear.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Here's a video procedure for
Possibly they may have forgotten an important part: The heater control should be open when draining and purging.

As Willie has warned in the air purging procedure be sure to open the a/c heater controls to Maximum Hot Temperature or there may remain an airlock in the coolant system and serious engine damage could occur if circulation is impeded.

·
7,136 Posts
YADFT - Yet Another Dealership Fail Thread

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
You're lucky that they didn't add 4 quarts of the wrong oil to your car and strip the oil drain hole as has happened to many here who trust dealers to change their oil. When I bought my Insight used, its crankcase contained 4 quarts of oil from a recent dealership oil change. At least it was 0W20 oil, but I don't believe in 2002 that Honda's 0W20 was synthetic; it was just priced like synthetic :mad: Maybe it's synthetic now.

·
7,136 Posts
I think there are a couple of conventional 0W-x oils available, but in general they're all synthetic. It takes too much effort to make a conventional 0W-x oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I took it back in this morning at 9 am and told them all the details about my dealings with the heater, that they must have not bled it correctly and created some kind of air pocket, and that they also put the incorrect oil into my car.

Turns out they did they actually did put OW20 in the car, someone just wasn't paying attention when they printed out the window sticker that said 10W30 and that my next service was due in 3,000 miles. Service advisor told me that he watched the service tech/mechanic pour OW20 into the car. I guess they keep their OW20 in "buckets", whereas all their other standard motor oils are in hoses around the service area, so he was absolutely sure they put the correct oil in.

Called them at 340 pm right before I got off work. Service advisor said that my car was ready and I came to pick it up at 430pm. Service advisor told me that sure enough, as you guys told me, they didn't bleed it right originally and there was an air pocket. From what he was telling me, it sounded like this something they haven't encountered very often. It makes me wonder if the tech who was working on my car yesterday has much experience working on First Gen Insights. He also told me that in the First Gen Insight the radiator is lower than the engine so they had to lift up the front end of the car to bleed out the air pocket, but they got it to work and the heater was working normally.

The porter brought my car around, but first I asked the cashier girl to get the service manager because I wanted to talk to him about his techs not doing the coolant service right the first time, and that I wanted some kind of compensation (discount on the coolant service I already paid for, or a free oil change next time, whatever) for my troubles.

Service manager comes back with my service advisor (who is looking all solemn, like he done effed up something). Manager informs me that my car is not ready yet. I pretty much said what do you mean, your advisor just told me my car is good to go. Manager told me he wasn't done diagnosing and test driving my car.

When I brought the car in again in this morning I told my service advisor that the night before I also noticed some kind of jerkiness while accelerating from 55-ish mph to 65 mph when I first got on the freeway after leaving the dealership. I felt it a couple more times while on my drive home while accelerating around the same speed, but it eventually subsided and I didn't notice it at all later on the drive to and from my girlfriend's house or on my way back to the dealership in the morning.

I had originally suspected it was something to do with the transmission since they serviced the transmission fluid and that I had never experienced that kind of feeling in my 1.5 years of owning the car. My service advisor didn't seem to think their servicing of the transmission fluid had anything to do with the car when I told him in the morning, and neither did the service manager when I was explaining it to him. The service manager said he had been test driving my car and experienced the same sensation and that he suspected it has something to do with the EGR and the emission system.

He wanted to disconnect the EGR and drive it around and I guess base some kind of diagnosis off of that. When we were discussing this around 5 pm he had done that yet. I don't know wtf the service manager was doing from 3pm or 3:30pm til 4:30 pm (when I came to pick it up) and why he hadn't done that already, or why the hell he and his service advisor (who was ready to let me drive off with my car) had some kind of failure to communicate. I said: "Well you've still got an hour 'til you guys close, can you do that now?" He pretty much laughed that suggestion off, saying there was no way he could do that now with the traffic, and that they would need to keep the car til tomorrow. This pissed me off, so I eventually got my way and got them to give me a free loaner car (new Accord, pretty sweeet :cool: )til my car is done.

Hopefully they can figure their collective sh*t out and I get my car back by the end of tomorrow. I'm just not buying the notion that the fact that I took my car into them with no symptoms of this "jerkiness while accelerating up to 65 mph" and then I drove out of there with this new problem is just some kind of weird coincidence.

·
7,136 Posts
Oh man.

This sounds like the service trip from hell. Keep us updated.

Herky jerky can indeed be caused by the EGR system, but I agree that it seems odd if you've never experienced it before.

The CVT is pretty particular about it's fluid, is it not? Seems like a worthy avenue to me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
There is a good chance you actually have 10-30 in the car. Dealerships will lie to keep from having to redo work.

Chance that the service writer saw what oil was put in your car is extremely remote.

·
Premium Member
10,358 Posts
Sounds like you got the "normal" run around at the dealer.
The next time you go in, take a jar of vaseline with you because that comes next.
I don't believe there has been many problems with the EGR valve in teh CVT's.
I'm like ELI, maybe the trans has to be run for a while to get back to its normal attitude.
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I have a friend with a Prius... she took it in to get the oil changed, they told her her front running lights were out, and one of the license plate bulbs.

We can fix that for $140.

She didn't take them up, thankfully, and was APOPLECTIC when I reached into the engine compartment, gave the bulb socket a twist, and it popped right out of there. I told her only to take it to the dealer if there's a problem with the HSD.

Sam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts