Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of running a bigger width tire in back,I ran some sumoto performance 175 65 15 up front with little mpg loss,after 1000 mile break in, wondering what I could get away with on rear, Please spare me the re 92 debate, they are not worth 80 bucks a tire To save 10 mpgs.

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
175's will work on the rear also.
No reason in going any bigger if you want mileage.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
You can kinda determine your answer with a few measurements and some logic. The "165" in the RE92 is the widest part of the tire, in mm. If you went to a 185 tire for example, you would be adding 20mm in total cross section width, half on the inside, half on the outside. OTOH, you can measure the distance from the tire to the edge of the tire to the spat. I suspect it is more than 1" since some folks use 1" spacers.

Short answer, if you want to use the 175-65/14 Sumoto on the rear, I don't think you would have a problem at all.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Vredestein Quatracs come in 165/65r14 and are pretty fantastic tires at half the cost of an RE92 not on sale. Well above average fuel economy, better grip, lighter, and softer sidewalls (more cushioned ride), vastly superior cold weather performance. I'd probably recommend them to anyone looking for an RE92 alternative who isn't looking for absolute maximum fuel economy. They also come in 175 or 185 if that's your thing, but going wider for the sake of going wider has basically no benefit.

I run 25mm spacers in the back. If I shaved a bit of the plastic lip on the inside of the spat I could definitely run 175's in the rear even with the spacer, and maybe 185s. Given that, I expect a tire up to maybe a 215 should fit without modification.

All that said, I don't think I've ever paid more than $45 for an RE92. They aren't ALWAYS on sale, but sales are frequent.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have 185/60r14’s on a set of rims from my old insight, they were some cheesy LRRContinental from the previous owner.

terrible for winter and meh fuel economy

·
Super Moderator
4,917 Posts
They aren't on sale right now at Costco. Wait until the Michelin sale goes off and the Bridgestone one comes back on.

Sam

·
Registered
597 Posts
Where are folks finding Vredsteins for $45?

I paid $80+ a tire for the two I bought and I could only find a single reseller until a month ago.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You can kinda determine your answer with a few measurements and some logic. The "165" in the RE92 is the widest part of the tire, in mm. If you went to a 185 tire for example, you would be adding 20mm in total cross section width, half on the inside, half on the outside. OTOH, you can measure the distance from the tire to the edge of the tire to the spat. I suspect it is more than 1" since some folks use 1" spacers.

Short answer, if you want to use the 175-65/14 Sumoto on the rear, I don't think you would have a problem at all.
I would not go too far out though, as in millimeters from spat (my bike ran a fat tire and when riding it warmed up and expanded causing rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts