Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am picking up a set of 13" 92-95 Honda Civic VX rims tomorrow. Those rims have 2 good tires and 2 bad tires on them that were the correct size for the 92 Civic. I currently have a 2003 Insight that will need new tires soon. Currently have the stock 14" with Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (165/65 R14).

Now in regards to keeping my gas mileage as high as possible, what would be my best tire setup. And choosing which rims for winter and which for summer.

Our winters here in Northern Indiana are pretty brutal sometimes.

Can anyone have some helpful suggestions or ideas in what I can do with adding a set of VX wheels to the mix?

·
Registered
71 Posts
look up the TireRack website. They list the overall diameter of tires under SPECS when you are looking at any given tire.
Search by size and compare OEM insight tire 165-65-14 to 175-70-13 snow tires and 155-80-13

·
Registered
241 Posts
So I am picking up a set of 13" 92-95 Honda Civic VX rims tomorrow. Those rims have 2 good tires and 2 bad tires on them that were the correct size for the 92 Civic. I currently have a 2003 Insight that will need new tires soon. Currently have the stock 14" with Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (165/65 R14).

Now in regards to keeping my gas mileage as high as possible, what would be my best tire setup. And choosing which rims for winter and which for summer.

Our winters here in Northern Indiana are pretty brutal sometimes.

Can anyone have some helpful suggestions or ideas in what I can do with adding a set of VX wheels to the mix?
First, will the 13" wheels fit the Insight ? My 14" are very close to the calipers. You may be able to use 1/4" spacers to move the wheels out to clear but haven't tried that ourselves.
165/80x13 tires look like the best size for 13" if you can find them. They're just a tad bigger than stock 165/65x14's which is good for snow traveling. Wider tires, 175 or 185 are a bit hard to push thru loose snow and don't get as much traction as the smaller footprint with Insights low power.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Like he said, the skinny pizza cutters will work better in the snow.
I seen pictures in this forum of the I1 with the Civic VX wheels, but no one mentioned using spacers. These are light wheels perfect for snow tires.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried Tirerack.com and discounttire.com and no luck with the 165/80 r13.

In the 155/80 r13 size, I did manage to find:
Kumho Solus KR21 - $44/tire
Firestone Winterforce - $47/tire

Now is this 175/70 r13 a normal Civic's size? Still not sure what size of tires are currently on the rims.

p.s. Will pick up rims on Sunday now.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
and according to tirerack, the Kumho tires seem to be lighter as well. 14lbs vs 16lbs for the Firestone. And a much better tread rating than the stock RE92

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had good luck with Sumitomo HTR T4 tires on VX rims in the 165/70/13 size. ( I do not drive in snow here in Southern California, it was 82 and sunny today.) This is the stock size for the CRX HF and Civic VX. I have just driven about 3000 miles with these on my Gen 1 Insight on the VX wheels. The combo is just slightly smaller diameter than the stock Insight 14 inch wheels with Potenzas. The VX combo is lighter at 20 lbs wheel and tire vs 21 lbs. The Sumitomo's have a max pressure of 51 lbs as stamped on the sidewall and are rated a low rolling resistance tire. I think they track better than the Potenza's as well, which was the main reason I tried them on my Insight. The VX wheel is a 5 inch wide wheel vs the Insight 5.5 inch. I think the Sumitomo's are slightly noisier than the Potenza's. I purchased two sets of the Sumitomo's from Tire Rack at different times. I don't think you can go wrong with this combo, although the VX wheels may not be as aerodynamic. If you do a search on this site you will find a recommendation for snow tires for the VX wheels. Good luck with your VX wheels, I like them a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Did you notice much of a MPG loss compared to the stock RE92?

I have had good luck with Sumitomo HTR T4 tires on VX rims in the 165/70/13 size. ( I do not drive in snow here in Southern California, it was 82 and sunny today.) This is the stock size for the CRX HF and Civic VX. I have just driven about 3000 miles with these on my Gen 1 Insight on the VX wheels. The combo is just slightly smaller diameter than the stock Insight 14 inch wheels with Potenzas. The VX combo is lighter at 20 lbs wheel and tire vs 21 lbs. The Sumitomo's have a max pressure of 51 lbs as stamped on the sidewall and are rated a low rolling resistance tire. I think they track better than the Potenza's as well, which was the main reason I tried them on my Insight. The VX wheel is a 5 inch wide wheel vs the Insight 5.5 inch. I think the Sumitomo's are slightly noisier than the Potenza's. I purchased two sets of the Sumitomo's from Tire Rack at different times. I don't think you can go wrong with this combo, although the VX wheels may not be as aerodynamic. If you do a search on this site you will find a recommendation for snow tires for the VX wheels. Good luck with your VX wheels, I like them a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I think the 155/80-13 would be a good size, because it is slightly taller, just enough to correct the speedometer which is off from factory.

And it is also thinner, so its possibly better for MPG. Probably not that good for traction though...

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
That 155-80-13 is the same stock size of the Toyota Tercel, not sure what the rims of those look like or if they would fit. They might come at a better price than the VX's but not sure on weight, price, aero, or fitment, just throwing the idea out there in case it helps.

...or possibly snag some used tires from a Tercel to try them out, that size is low cost though even for new tires.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Very true on new cost. I was getting used to paying for new tires on my ITR. The Potenza RE-11 set me back around $480. Love those over the very popular Faulken Azenis. You would think that LRR tires would be developed a little more than what they are like they have with trackday tires.

I am thinking the 155/80 r13 might be my best option to keep everything as close to stock as possible.

Oh, and here's a pic of my score today!

Winning!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
can i ask how much those cost you? There is a local seller here selling a set for $150 w/tires. I am kinda interested.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I called and offered $100 after seeing a cell phone picture. Said "Sure" right away. The seller actually didn't have the rims for sale, but rather had his VX listed for trade. I noticed he had aftermarket wheels on the VX, so I decided to see if he would part with the stock wheels. I wish I would have had him throw me a price, and I bet I would have got them a lot cheaper too. Tires are pretty much trash, and 2 have years and years of grime and brake dust built up on them.

I think a strip and repaint job will be in the works. Might paint them the same Gunmetal color as my ITR rims... Kaiser Silver (NH-546M). Or may try Rays Engineering Bronze color if I can find that one. Red H's on the center caps as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got a set of $100 VX wheels two weeks ago, I also need a set for winter tires.
Will go with the 155 80 13 Firestone Winterforce
The stock 14" wheels have new RE-92's
I'm also used to sticky RE-11's, Hankook RS-3's, etc. for my other cars but this is a fuel economy commuter so I'm keeping it frugal.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I got a set of $100 VX wheels two weeks ago, I also need a set for winter tires.
Will go with the 155 80 13 Firestone Winterforce
The stock 14" wheels have new RE-92's
I'm also used to sticky RE-11's, Hankook RS-3's, etc. for my other cars but this is a fuel economy commuter so I'm keeping it frugal.
Have you checked to see if the wheels fit your Insight? Caliper clearance, etc. This needs to be done before anything else.
The stock tires are 22.44" in diameter; the 155/80x13 tires are 22.76".
You need to use tirerack.com to compare the FS winter tires with thers and to check the weight of the 155/80x13 and the actual diameter (I think the aspect is actualy 82%). Any increase in weight and diameter will hurt your mpg and acceleration. And if memory serves the Winterforces didn't do all that well compared to other winter tires. The VX wheel is probably 3 or 4 pounds heavier than the 10.5 lb Insight wheel which is a negative but because they are closer to the axle centerline are less important than the tire weight.
good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
the vx wheels (9.7lbs) are actually lighter than the insight wheels.

good thing about the vx 13" is that you can go with narrower tires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There it is. Checked for clearance and the VX wheels work fine.

Tried posting pic with no success, check them out at the gallery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts