Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've located a G1 Insight at a junkyard not too far from me...this week is crazy but sometime in the next 1-2 weeks I might head over there and grab a few things from the car. I've always enjoyed visiting junkyards and since the Insight is so rare I thought it good to take advantage of this. So far my list of things to get, if available and in good condition, is:

• headlights
  • taillights
  • wheels
  • tires if RE92
  • Mg oil pan
  • steering wheel
  • dash trim
  • top O2 sensor
If anyone has other recommendations please chime in. The fact that I'd do this is proof that I'm becoming obsessed with this car. But like many of you I see the value in having a few things on the shelf in case I or others need them.

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
Depends on the junkyards and state laws, most of the time the cats are removed by the junkyard before the car is put out in the yard.
I’m not sure if it a state or federal law, but in California you can’t buy used cats from a junkyard.

Scott

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on the junkyards and state laws, most of the time the cats are removed by the junkyard before the car is put out in the yard.
I’m not sure if it a state or federal law, but in California you can’t buy used cats from a junkyard.

Scott
Yeah over here on the east coast they cut the cats out and also remove the battery before it gets put on the yard. Probably the IMA too in the case of a hybrid. I'm really curious to see if the IMA is in there.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,686 Posts
In Ca you can't even get new cats from a breeder.
(Med. time)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I've located a G1 Insight at a junkyard not too far from me

If anyone has other recommendations please chime in. The fact that I'd do this is proof that I'm becoming obsessed with this car. But like many of you I see the value in having a few things on the shelf in case I or others need them.
EGR valve depending upon miles on car.
The towing screw in "O" bolt if your car is missing that.
Any front under aero panels and strakes if your car is missing them.
Of course look under seats for goodies.

·
Super Moderator
5,111 Posts
Dash bezel
Window switches
Rear speaker mounts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
43 Posts
Every little trim piece, cover, popper, snap etc. that you can get your hands on.

It's a thing I always make sure I have a pot of for every car I own, comes in super handy when some little bit of trim breaks or goes missing and you don't have to pay daft dealer prices or wait ages to find a replacement.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Side skirts
Floor mats and carpet if in good shape.
Seat skins/seats
Head and tail lights

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
That car will be tore to shreds if you wait a week or two. I see them destroyed in a matter of days. Look under for gaz shocks and under belly pans..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great advice guys thanks.

That car will be tore to shreds if you wait a week or two. I see them destroyed in a matter of days. Look under for gaz shocks and under belly pans..
Yeah I've learned that, there is a subculture of people that visit the junkyard several times a week, take stuff, and sell on eBay. The Insight is so rare I need to move fast. I'm trying to carve out time to run by tomorrow.

...or you'll end up like me...
This is the best advice ever. And that GLH....excellent.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today I zoomed over to check out this 2000 Insight at the Pull-a-Part....it has been there only 2 days, not too picked through. Unfortunately on a scale of 1 to 10 of condition/parts this one is a ZERO. There was literally and I mean literally nothing salvageable. Trim is beat up, seats or horrible, carpet awful, wheels peeling, wheel caps scuffed, body panels fading or missing. I was gonna grab the mirrors for a member but they have seen better days. I could have grabbed some window motors or such but considering the condition of the car I doubt anything on it has a chance of working at all.

Looked like this car sat for a verrrrrrrrry long time before owner decided to finally dump it. Was fun though. The pictures don't convey the level of disgust here...but you'll get the idea.

I scout junkyards regularly and have never seen a G1 Insight in probably 40 visits. Kinda sad though to see it in this state.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would have grabbed the IMA harness, the ECU, ECU harness connectors, the remaining IMA modules (DC-DC and IGBT - basically grabbed that beast of a brick in the back), the driver's seat cover if it is not worn (dirty is OK, they wash up well), and the rims if they are cheap enough. Someone a while back posted how they polished the rims, and it although you would have to keep on top of them, it was a nice look for a second set (for snow or performance tires). You can paint the mirrors with Rustoleum Sunrise Red and they will look pretty close to stock.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would have grabbed the IMA harness, the ECU, ECU harness connectors, the remaining IMA modules (DC-DC and IGBT - basically grabbed that beast of a brick in the back), the driver's seat cover if it is not worn (dirty is OK, they wash up well), and the rims if they are cheap enough. Someone a while back posted how they polished the rims, and it although you would have to keep on top of them, it was a nice look for a second set (for snow or performance tires). You can paint the mirrors with Rustoleum Sunrise Red and they will look pretty close to stock.
Didn’t think of the harnesses...the wheels were shot and I dont need them and the mirrors needed to be in a specific condition before purchasing for another member.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts