Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade my current Civic HX to an Insight on a College Student Budget. I would prefer a 2000-02 with manual transmission and A/C. Any pointers on things (one year better than another, maintenance items, etc.) to look out for on a used Insight would be appreciated. If anyone has any leads on one in the Pacific Northwest I would be interested.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
122 Posts
If it's on a college budget -
beware possible big expense ( $2-5 k ? ) for replacement battery and related computer modules.
These are warranteed to 80k miles [mod edit typo 80K is the IMA warranty] - and there are plenty of reports of good-will replacment for free by dealers after those miles - but it's a risk.

For pure $ saved ( in total ) ,
consider getting a Honda CRX - last made in '91 ( and due to appear for 2007, some say ) - owners are still getting 44, 45 mpg on these babies - they're sort of a non-hybrid forerunner of the Insight. Typically they're found in Calif., and often they've been fixed up with various modifications - and priced at $2 - -3, 5-6 k.
See cars.com, autotrader.com, craigslist.org (try different locales) and "eBay motors" for Insight and/or CRX.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's a great link, Wayne. As for used Insights, lately they have been going for more than Clean MPG quotes them for. Probably due to the recent gas price spike. I'm shocked to learn that my 2001 is worth more than it was when I bought it. :D

I agree that the Insight might not be the best college budget car. They're worth too much right now. But there are some great 1990s era Hondas and Toyotas out there that are much cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually my HX during normal commuting 120 mi (stop and go, freeway) is pulling down 41+ mpg. It is not worth changing cars for me unless I can improve to at least 55 mpg (personal goal). I see Insights in the 10k range, just not many in my area. How often do the batteries fail? Computers failing should not be a normal maintenance item. Are these failures common? I really appreciate all this info.

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
120 miles is a long commute. I don't think you will have any problem achieving your MPG goal with an Insight.

If members on this site seem hesitant to recomend the Insight on gas savings alone for someone on a limited budget, it is because we don't want to see someone put into a tight spot when going to college/university. Many of us have been there and realise that the last thing you want to be worried about when studying is where the finances are going to come from.

There is a reasonable chance that the value of an Insight will appreciate with time. The issue of battery replacemnt versus maintenance costs for a non hybrid have been discussed at some length in other threads. Try the search feature if you haven't already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts