• Fram

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mobile1

• Amsoil

• Bosch

• Other ________ (please state in a post)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on using the Honda OEM filter but saw comments to the effect that they are not as good as they once were and was thinking about a Mobil 1 filter (using 0w-20 M 1 oil).

Fram I've read are crap as well.

TIA

btw - search was no help....again

[ Mod addendum: Added poll option. Just a friendly FYI: IC doesn't do many polls with the poll option above enabled.]

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Me :?: Genuine Honda. :)

Why :?: Tightly controlled distribution channel assures you getting the filter that was engineered for your car. In _rare_ cases there have been _junk_ gray market imports of "other" _name brands_ that _caused_ rapid failure of the engine :!: :shock:

If _Honda_ oopses :oops: I know who will be paying the repair bill.
(Never heard of such happening either ;) )

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
When I buy the Insight OEM filter it's the real thing made in Japan.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have used Fram in every vehicle I have owned for the past 24 years with no problems in ANY car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gomarlins3 said:
I have used Fram in every vehicle I have owned for the past 24 years with no problems in ANY car.
seriously, I would read about these on the net -- people have torn these things apart and cut a cross section for inspection....they've really gotten cheap on their construction.

...I'm glad you've had good results with them tho.

PS- thanks mr moderator for adding the poll 8)
[Mod note: Your very welcome :!: :D ]

·
Registered
466 Posts
i use purolator premium filters. they rate as high as the wix brand, and are the same as the mobil-1 in construction, just a paper medium, not synthetic.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I use the Pure One filter from Purolator. There has been some discussion on the list about them, and I've switched over in all my cars.
robert

·
Registered
35 Posts
I want to say this about FRAM filters- I remember them from earliest childhood, I've used them forever until now. I have an 89 Volvo 740 Turbo, and the Forum for volvos is so Anti-Fram that they have taken to calling them "the orange can of death" Seems that since Honeywell took over FRAM their product has steeply declined, for example, they took the valve out of their filter for my car (the valve prevents the oil from flowing away from the turbo and back into the oil pan) By having the turbo oil-starved when the car is started, the bearings get destroyed very quickly. On the Volvo I use only Mann brand filters (OEM) which do have the valve, I am not sure if the Insight should have one or not? Hopefully I'll find out soon!

-Tim

·
Registered
228 Posts
Supertech (the "Made in the USA" version) ST6607 from Wal-Mart.

xcel (Wayne Gerdes) turned me on to them 8)

·
Registered
466 Posts
auto-zone by me has them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Supertech when I change the oil. When I take it to Honda for the change every third or fourth change, Honda filter.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Do an oil analysis just prior to an oil change (~7500 miles). Then you'll know for certain whether or not your filter is keeping the oil clean.

I use whatever my dealer puts in the car, probably a Honda filter.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mobil 1 0w-20 and NAPA (Wix) filter. I was using Fram for a while before switching to Wix.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I opted for the MObil 1 0W-20 Oil (walmart) and a Mobil 1 filter (Autozone) -- but I'll probably go back to Honda filters -- $10 for the M1 filter is too high.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts