Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will there be a 2007 Insight?
If I buy a 2006...there better not be a cooler/funkier version out in '07! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
:lol: lol

Congradulations :!: :p

I think you've got the "new" record for early posting about the demise (or change) of the Insight. Most wait until the latest model is out.

2006 is confirmed to be available with no changes.

2007 :?: Who knows :?: Nor do we yet have a member with "inside" information (who is willing to post it anyway ;) ). Some new colors would be nice. I like the white (Japanese only). But the tan interior has just got to go :!:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
As things are now, I'm guessing Honda will keep the Insight in production just enough, by this I'm thinking less than 1000 units a year, to keep them on the top of the EPA mileage lists. True the Insight is a money loosing proposition, but for the "greenest" car company it means more to them than just dollars.

Will there be a replacment? That remains to be seen. I'm thinking 6 or 7 years is a pretty good run, but we can only wait to see.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well the NSX had a 16-year production cycle....
Maybe/Hopefully the Insight will follow it's footsteps.....or rather tyre-marks. 8)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Probably a car powered by natural gas.

Oops! :lol: Already exists!

Seriously, the Insight is a marketing gimmick (and a technology test platform) to demonstrate Honda's concern for the environment. I suspect that the Insight will continue on at a low rate for a couple of more years and then be replaced by some other new technology demonstrator. Maybe fuel cells or hydrogen or pure electric.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I really doubt we'll see a full electric from Honda again. They had a very limited program for a couple years, built 300 units and that was it. Lease only, they're all gone now, or allegedly some have been retrofitted for fuel cells.

That said I'd love to see some sort of alternative fuel hybrid replacment. Heck, even if they could add the ability to run E85 in the current car (and they actually put in a pump somewhere in this state the public could use), that would be great. I hope their Civic GX does good as well. I know a few people who have them and they really love being able to refuel at home.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Rick said:
I really doubt we'll see a full electric from Honda again.
I think given how Honda got their fingers burnt with the EV+, many within Honda will be thinking the same way. But I'm not so sure that sentiment will stay the same for long....

They (and everyone else at the time) built their EVs using the best available battery at the time, which was Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH). These batteries contained only 60 watt-hours per kilogram, which meant a vehicle range of only about 100 miles, a lengthy charging time of at least several hours to "fill-up" again and serious concerns as to the longevity of the battery pack.

However, battery technology has progressed way beyond the expectations of almost anyone since then. There are battery manufacturers in Japan, who must surely be constantly nipping at the ears of the auto manufacturers, with new types of battery containing up to 220 watt-hours per kilogram. Such batteries would give a more than adequate vehicle range of 400 miles. Toshiba in particular now have a battery that loses only 1% capacity after 1,000 discharge cycles, allaying concerns over battery longevity. This battery also completely recharges in just 5 minutes, thereby (finally) providing a recharge time competitive with gasoline.

Two other Japanese manufacturers, Subaru and Mitsubishi, are already well advanced lithium EV testing and plan to begin sales of their lithium EVs in 2008-9. Toyota are testing a 60 mile range plug-in hybrid this year, and the Japanese auto press are constantly reporting new tie-ups between big Japanese auto and high-tech battery manufacturers.

Given all this momentum in Japan right now, I don't think Honda would like to be seen as being "behind" in this technological arena next to their competitors. Time will tell....

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I agree, I'd love to see another battery electric produced. The EV Plus was to say the least a learning experience. Their battery design made it so if one cell failed the whole pack had to be replaced. I know they replaced a lot of packs. Lithium is really the way to go, I mean look at what AC prouplsions did with their TZero. 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and a 300 mile range.... on laptop batteries!

Maybe they'll give it another shot. All the auto manufacturers were basically forced with the California ZEV mandate to produce electrics in the 90's. Maybe now they can try it voluntarily and we'll get something good. Mitsubishi has a concept Ralley Lancer with a hub motor attached to each wheel, combined with some good logic you could make that thing handle like nothing else.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'd have to agree that if Honda could make a TZero-like car, I'd get it. The main problem is making it for a reasonable price. The TZero is in the $100k range. Now if they could take the hit and make it in the Insight price range, then I'm in.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'd give my left _____ for small non turbo diesel engine option in the insight with NO IMA stuff.

just a basic clean little diesel that can use biodiesel.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd like to see the Accord hybrid V6 in the rear of the Insight with 2 battery packs up front ;)

But, if they're going to go diesel, a turbodiesel hybrid would be nice.

Why would you want a non-turbo diesel? You'd loose efficiency.

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
Next Gen Insight

The next generation Insight I don't think will be out at least until 2010.. and then it may not be called an insight but I think the next car to do the kind of step the insight took as a mass produced car will be a plug in hybrid... again this will be in limited production for the hyper MPG group... same group that went for the Insight.... then by like 2020 or 2030 we might see a production level electric or fuel cell car... just my 2 bits...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I think a plug-in hybrid would make a lot more sense than a pure electric. Maybe now you can stuff in enough batteries to get decent range, but they still add up to a lot of weight and expense.

Then there's another factor: heating. The batteries that give you decent range when it's warm out will get used up pretty fast trying to keep the cabin warm in a Minnesota winter :) But with a hybrid, you get to use all that waste heat from the IC engine...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts