Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I held onto my 2000 Insight one year and nine months after I parked it because I hoped I'd find someone to barter repairs, or that I could afford to pay. I really love this car, but the reality is that I can't afford to fix it on my fixed-income.

So, what do you think would be a fair price? I don't want to rip anyone off, but I need as much as I can get to possibly buy an electric bike. A poor substitute for the Insight, but beggars can't be choosers.

I was told at Shearer Honda here in Rutland, Vermont that it needed a new oil pan, and an oxygen sensor. The engine light came on and it started to run rough a few months after I had it inspected in 2016 (not by Shearer), so I parked it. The battery is probably dead (Vermont winter), so I can't check the exact mileage. When I had it inspected in 2016, it had about 166,600 miles on it.

My ex bought it new, and shared it with me. When he decided to move on to greener pastures, he bought a gas guzzler, then signed the Insight over to me. As I remember, most oil changes and other services were completed on time, but some were completed after the suggested 3000 miles.

Most work was completed at Clair Honda in Saco, Maine or Shearer Honda in Rutland, Vermont, so the vast majority of parts are dealer parts. I took some bad advice, and had someone else work on it for less than a dealership would charge. I definitely got what I paid for, as I had to have the work redone.

The tires don't match, there's a small ding in the windshield, the driver's side carpet is worn through, and there's a small tear on the lower left side of the driver's seat.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Oxygen sensors are easy and relatively cheap. Maybe an hour of labor and $300 of parts.

What's wrong with the oil pan? Check engine lights could mean anything, what's the actual codes?

Without knowing what the condition of the engine, car been sitting for 2 years, tires are old, dead 12v battery, possibly dead IMA battery and a dead fuel pump, considering all the factors, maybe a $500-$1000 car?

·
Super Moderator
8,679 Posts
Tryingbe is probably close on price. There are lots of not running or barely running Gen 1 Insights. Without the engine trouble codes, it is a bit hard to guess what that was all about. What is condition of the exterior? Can you post a few pictures?

Your best hope is to find an Insight hobbyist close by. The car is hardly worth shipping.

Sorry not to be more encouraging, but most such Insights aren't bringing much:(

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Yeah, would be a lower price with so much unknown.
I know a hobbyist in Vermont who may be interested.
Or of nothing else I may be able to offer some advice to you remotely. I'll send you a private message, but feel free to call me at 698-728-4082.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your advice, Tryingbe. I don't have the money to pay someone to get the codes. It was running roughly when I decided to park it, hoping I'd be able to afford repairs. I don't know what's wrong with the oil pan. I was told it should be replaced by a mechanic at Shearer Honda.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Thank you for your advice, Tryingbe. I don't have the money to pay someone to get the codes. It was running roughly when I decided to park it, hoping I'd be able to afford repairs. I don't know what's wrong with the oil pan. I was told it should be replaced by a mechanic at Shearer Honda.
You can go to any Advance or Auto Zone and they will read the codes for free.

·
Super Moderator
8,679 Posts
You can go to any Advance or Auto Zone and they will read the codes for free.
True - of course you have to drive the car there. If the car is driveable and there is a store close-by that would possible help sell the car.

Check the engine oil and see if any shows on the dipstick. Since you drove it to and from the dealer, I suspect that it is not cracked but rather has a stripped drain plug - very common in these cars. You will want to make sure to add oil before you try to start the car, then look underneath and see if it is dripping or leaking. The oil type is specified on the filler cap. You can buy it at Wal-Mart.

You will likely have to jump start the front battery, since it has been sitting so long.

Are you subject to pollution inspection?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't know what's wrong with the oil pan. I was told it should be replaced by a mechanic at Shearer Honda.
Does the dip stick says the engine have oil? Is the car leaking oil? Any oil spot on the ground? If no to all three, the oil pan is fine.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'm located in Burlington. I can't promise I'd have time to look at it any time soon, but chances are I'm the closest Insight enthusiast.

Is this a CVT or 5 speed?

EDIT: You did not need to change the oil at 3,000 miles in an Insight. There's an indicator light on the dash that lets you know when to change it, and it comes on at (I believe) every 7,500 miles. If you use a high quality oil, longer change intervals are safe.

·
Registered
906 Posts
AutoZone is great. They have a tool loan program which is very generous and includes, I think, any tool they sell in the store (someone correct me if this is not true; it appears this way at our local store.) The "catch" is that you pay the cost of the tool when you check it out and you get that money back if you return it within 30 days. I borrowed a tailpipe flaring tool which honestly was a POS and broke into many pieces (I kept going after three first break and managed to finish the job.) I showed them the broken tool not expecting a refund but just to say, don't loan these out, but they gave my money back. YMMV

Where I'm going with this is that you can ask them if they can loan you a battery charger and OBD-II reader as part of their tool loan program. There will be a big ding on your credit card but you will get it back if you return it on time.

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
Codes cost literally nothing. Go to autozone and ask them to check the codes. Post some photos.

The fact that you're doing neither = I don't think you really want to sell it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts