Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trusted local dealer who has ALWAYS priced services fairly for my 2010 Insight just quoted me a price of 1475.00 for plugs and wires and labor for a 100 k tune up.
Is this the going rate for a dealer service for a "tune up" ?

·
Registered
589 Posts
My trusted local dealer who has ALWAYS priced services fairly for my 2010 Insight just quoted me a price of 1475.00 for plugs and wires and labor for a 100 k tune up.
Is this the going rate for a dealer service for a "tune up" ?
<edit - thought I was in a different forum. Apologies!>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow.

Is there anything preventing you from doing the work yourself? For $1475 you can replace pretty much every consumable and tune the things you can and it would be a different car.
Severe rheumatoid arthritis ,and no tools are why the dealer gets my money...

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
What do they include in a 100K service.?

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Uhhh.... The G2 has 8 spark plugs, not indexed. Why replace 8 good coils? Or maybe only 4. And other good parts? We need to know what Honda thinks we should do. And probably skip half of it.

Sam

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Folks the OP has a 2010 Insight. Four cylinders, 8 expensive plugs. The quoted price still seems high though.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Sam beat me to it!!

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Are Gen 2 plugs indexed like the Gen 1 plugs are? If they aren't, I wouldn't see why getting the NGK, Champion, etc. common brand plugs in platinum or iridium wouldn't be a bad bet.

For what it's worth, I don't see the point of swapping out plugs if you're never getting a misfire anyway. We aren't running 30k mile copper plugs anymore. I've got one of my Insights running on this experiment, over 200k miles on a set of plugs without misfires, full performance, and still getting the same gas mileage as 100k miles ago.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
No, there is only one part number of NGK to use in a 2nd gen Insight. They are not indexed because there are two for each cylinder.

To the OP, I bet the dealer (in this case a service writer) may not be familiar with the 2nd gen Insight. The price you got quoted seems like the price for a Honda with a timing belt. The 105 mile service on an Insight is just replacing the plugs and maybe a single drive belt. One would never replace spark plug wires on a modern car unless there was a specific issue. Very rare.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Price shopping the real plugs is a good idea, but I doubt an independent mechanic is going to replace them for a single hours labor. To get to the rears, one has to disassemble the shroud below the windshield. See this very informative thread:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-discussions/21680-spark-plug-change-how.html

By the way, a few of us have waited to replace the plugs with no issue. I think the record is about 140k. We did ours at about 125k and they came out fine and still quite usable. Of course that was on a 2010, not the oil burning 2012-2013 Insights. For folks with those, Honda should be rebuilding the engine and replacing 1/2 of them for free.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't find any mileage or time table when the dash reminder is set to trip for, is there one ? somewhere

PIA to post images here... was going to paste a copy of the Maintenance Minder table as a copy text does not come out good..

back to the OP question , way too high a price, to do what exactly?? mine is a 112K 2010 orig plugs , running ok... no real problems...

valve noise on mine is ok with me , especially when hot, that's an subjective area the shop could claim needs adjustment,

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't find any mileage or time table when the dash reminder is set to trip for, is there one ?
Honda recommends 105k. I recommend quite a bit sooner, mostly because of frequent miserable experiences trying to remove plugs that have bonded to the cylinder head due to age and lack of anti-seize.

As for the OP question, that is easily twice what our major service with spark plugs would cost. We replace all of the fluids, filters, plugs, and adjust the valves, in addition to inspections of the entire vehicle. It usually totals out to about $650-700 for the 2G Insight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A 100K mile 2010 Insight is worth $6k top, asking $1475 for a tuneup on a $6k car...... that's 25% of the value of the whole car... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
A 100K mile 2010 Insight is worth $6k top, asking $1475 for a tuneup on a $6k car...... that's 25% of the value of the whole car... :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, the value of the vehicle doesn't usually have any bearing on the cost to do work. An engine overhaul takes the same amount of efforts regardless of whether it is on a 1990 Accord, 2002 Accord, or 2014 Accord.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
Kabuki
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing