Honda Insight Forum banner

What's responsible for updated increase in mpg?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Uriel 
#1 ·
The updated Insight (2012 I believe?) is rated at 4.5 mpg higher than the older models.

What changes are responsible for this?

#2 ·
4.5 mpg? Must be Imperial gallon?

For the American one it was a change in front and rear bumper, fog lamps/turn signals, something in the engine and tranny and other cosmetic stuff.

Someone here owns both and said the newer one feels more refined in how auto stop works, power, ima, etc.

#6 ·
Ive see that brand thrown around here off and on. I went up in tire size from the oem 175 65 r15 to 185 65 r 15 and 7 inch width rims that are ten lbs lighter than stock. Big difference, I like it, mpg and mph up 2%. I went with the general t43 tire as it was highly rated by surveys by its tire size. I believe the later and Euro spec Insights went with a wider tire, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc.

#7 ·
I have 16'' wheels. Wonder what efficiency gains I would see with the 15'' from the 'SE' model?

It's intriguing me. My last three tanks have been 69-70 imp mpg. With the software updates, green oil, smaller rims ('SE' base model rated 3mpg higher than my mid 'ES' actually, I've just checked) and eco tyres they would likely have been 75mpg imp tanks.

Guess who is going to be on Ebay this afternoon looking for some SE rims:D

#9 ·
You know dmt257, if you click on your username, like up in the corner where is shows you are logged in, you can enter your location into your profile so everyone knows you are in the UK. It helps.

Of course one's location does not show when using the autoguide mobile app....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.