Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I brought my 2001 in the other day for the 37500 service, which apparently included a brake inspection. Lo and behold, I was told that I had 15% of the front brake linings left, and they would be glad to replace them for me for a low $130.

After asking about the cost of just the pads ($50), I decided that for $80 I'll just do them myself. I pulled the front wheel off of the left side, pulled the calipers off, and there was over half the pad left. I pulled the wheel off of the right side, and looked into the caliper and it looked to have move than half left as well, though I didn't look at the inside pad.

Has anybody else run into this scam? I know I've seen this with independent shops, but I guess I figured that the Honda dealer might be a bit more honest.

Anyways, how many miles are you getting out of your front brakes? I'm trying to get some ammo for chewing them out later this week. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well ScottH,
It is my understanding that the brakes will produce a very noticeable squeal when the pads are in need of replacing. And to your other question on how many miles others have gotten on the pads, I have not replaced them yet after 26,355 Miles (original pads).

~Martin
Recycled
2000 5 Spd

·
Registered
320 Posts
Brakes don't really last a given number of miles. They last a given number of stops. It varies wildly depending on how often you brake (city/highway), how hard you brake, etc. If you drive to maximize the regenerative braking (the IMA charge indicator), your brakes should last a very long time. Rear brakes typically last longer than front brakes, since front brakes take most of the weight when you stop, and there's the difference between disk and drum brakes.

From the Owner's Manual, page 139:

"The front disc brakes on all models have audible brake wear indicators."

"When the brake pads need replacing, you will hear a distinctive metalic 'screeching' sound when you apply the brakes. If you do not have the brake pads replaced, they will begin screeching all the time."

"Your brakes may sometimes squeal or squeak when you apply them lightly. Do not confuse this with the brake wear indicators. They make a very audible 'screeching'."

[I finally hunted down the manual again, preparing to ship it off.]

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,896 Posts
Brake Pads

Just turned 79,000 miles on the "LITTLE RED ROCKET". Checked the brake pads before a recent trip to Fla. and wear appears to be normal. I'm conservative on brakes as I down shift when coming to a stop, allowing the IMA to assist and also charge the IMA battery.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Re: brake pads

This is why I emphasize that everyone should try to learn as much as possible about their car! It is good that you inspected your pads; this is a common scam, they want your car in for service. And they will usually "find" something else wrong once they have your car.
I drove my 2002 Insight 52,000 miles and I measured that over 90% thickness was remaining. Of course, I drive nearly all highway miles. In addition, the Insight uses LESS brakes than other cars because under deceleration the electric motor (rotor) loads up and charges the batteries faster, and it feels like a jake brake on a truck. You don't need to brake as much. Anyway, read the owners manual, buy the service manual, and study up on the encyclopedia on this web site! Later, Billy..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lifetime of brakes

I just had my brake pads replaced after 105,000 miles for the first time. I also had the brake disk resurfaced. They had to remove about .05" of disk and the disks have about .5" of surface left. So I would estimate about 500K miles left before I need new disks.

My average commute involves about 60 miles of mountain driving 4 times a week, plus my recreational driving involves a lot of driving over Sierras, so I am not easy on my brakes.

Clint

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Re: Lifetime of brakes

malachev said:
I just had my brake pads replaced after 105,000 miles for the first time. I also had the brake disk resurfaced. They had to remove about .05" of disk and the disks have about .5" of surface left. So I would estimate about 500K miles left before I need new disks.

Clint
Your 500K mile estimate on the life of your rotors if flawed because new rotors are 17 mm thick and the service limit is 15 mm.
That's why it's better to replace rotors instead of machining them!
Machining rotors only delays purchasing new rotors by 6 to 12 months :badgrin:
It costs more to pay for labour twice as often.

Keep in mind everyone that the inner brake pads are difficult to see without pulling the caliper out of the way. These hidden pads are the ones that wear out faster. So just looking a the outer pads is not good enough.
The wear indicators often break away so I wouldn't rely on them to determine when it's time to change pads. I know this from experience!

I have gone though a set of front brake pads in 6,000 km and 110,000 km it all depends how often I take the car to the race track for lapping
8)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Surfacing rotors

Okay, my math was flawed. Assuming approximatly the same amount of wear, I should get 100,000 miles before I need new rotors (6 years since the car is a 2000) or 160,000 km. My rotor thickness before surfacing was 16.9mm. Very little rotor wear.

Clint

·
Registered
408 Posts
We had our brakes done at nearly 90k miles. The front pads were down to 10% and then rear drums were apparently way out of whack. They machined the rotors and drums and replaced the pads.

For the fronts being only down to 10%, they sounded and felt like death when trying to stop.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I couldn't see the logic in having my rotors turned when I was able to purchase new ones for $15 each when I did my brakes a couple months ago. Pads were less than 1/2 worn (45K miles), except for the sticking passenger side caliper which ate the inner pad right down to the wear indicator

·
Registered
338 Posts
well

98k on original set....sure they are a little warped but I can stop faster than most as it is....

·
Registered
344 Posts
About 122,000 on the front with several thousand miles still available. The back shoes are still on at 143,000.

·
Registered
466 Posts
brakes

I purchased my Insight in Arkansas last August. The owner, knowing I was driving back to California, was sure to inform me that the dealership had given her a direct warning that the front brake pads had only @500 miles left on them and that they surely would need replacement to be safe. That was over 10,000 miles ago. I have no intent on changing them until they need replacing. As mentioned, this is a typical dealership scam. I still have the written inspection notice from them.

Another interesting item was that during this inspection and "service", they never checked the spare tire as the air pressure was sown to below 20 lbs - be careful out there!

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
There's and ooold poll thread that just popped back up here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78

Follow-up and duplicate your values here to that thread if your interested.

I've "renewed" the poll option on that thread for another 90 days. ;)
(tracks the statistics automatically)

Locking

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.