Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Insight with about 1600 miles on it. I noticed that the battery goes from full to almost empty every 50 miles or so. Yesterday when I parked the car it had more than half, today only 3 bars. Why is that?

·
Registered
71 Posts
PeacePower: There are a number of factors that directly impact IMA battery assist/recharge - in particular driving style. In order to offer any specific comments it would make a difference to know whether you have a CVT or manual shift; what type of driving you mostly do (local vs highway); and the type of terrain (mostly level, hilly, etc).

A lot of the info on this forum regarding MPG improvements can also even out excessive fluctuation in battery SOC (state of charge).
Another thread you may want to check out is the "Headlights on trick"
(it's a simple way to induce a forced charge).

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Good points Henry :!: :)

However, the forced _hidden_ charging that the headlights on "trick" used to accomplish has been reported to have been eliminated in the newest BCM control logic. Either in 04 or newer or the latest and greatest updates.

It seems it has been decided by the powers that be that overcharging is the culprit in premature IMA battery failures (less than 150K miles).

HTH! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts