Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kari's topic about her cooler got me wondering about just how much stuff Insighters have managed to fit in their cars. I've only had mine a few weeks, but already on one occasion I fit a 2-drawer metal file cabinet (18"X14"X24") together with a mid-size air conditioner (about the same dimensions). Both fit without a problem in the cargo area - although I couldn't really completely see out the back :oops:

This Xmas will be another test for me. I have a large family, so there'll be quite a number of gifts plus luggage for a week. I'm sure others have done much more. Anyone ever carry something without completely closing the back hatch?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
If you have occasion to carry something really heavy in the back (like an industrial floor sander) consider cutting a sheet of 3/8 inch plywood to fit the hatch area. ;) Consider too that your low beams will become high beams and your suspension will be riding on the rubber stops. If done on a regular basis you might want to install additional air adjustable suspension components for the back. :idea:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Several weeks ago I made my weekly trip to Toronto to work on RX-7s. In the Insight I loaded:

-Mazda 12A rotary engine (removed passenger seat)
-Full set of tools in back (toolbox is length of hatch area, about 1.5 feet wide, 1.5 feet tall and weighs about 100LBs)
-Electronics kit (side of a large briefcase)
-Cooler for the day (a few pounds of Gatorade, pop/soda and Beefaroni)
-Intercooler for my RX-7 to be welded (26" x 14" x 3")
-Laptop case
-Small box of random wiring bits
-Flywheel and clutch assembly from '78 RX-7
-Driveshaft from '78 RX-7
-Camera, and other misc. small items

The car performed well all things considered and I entered Toronto with a 77MPG average (though that is down from the 85-97 MPG I normally achieve).

On other occasions I have put almost 500 LBs of batteries in the back for recycling and while I wouldn't recommend it, the car handled it well.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Aaron, thats wild! :shock:

Nice to see you getting decent mileage too. I'm assuming that is Imperial MPG?

·
Registered
466 Posts
the most i have put in there was a transmission for a celica gt. a 110 mile round trip to get it was a lot less expensive in the insight than it would have been in my grand wagoneer at 12 mpg!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Reads like Aaron has "taken the cake" with his 500lb load achievemet. :p

Apologies to Aaron Cake for the humor. Its an old cliché specifically in reference to an old American "contest" in which a cake was the prize. (A cake walk)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Insightful Trekker said:
Its an old cliché specifically in reference to an old American "contest" in which a cake was the prize. (A cake walk)
I didn't know that was the origin of 'cake walk' :roll: Wonder if it has anything to do with the expression: shut your cake hole :!:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
One late night I wasn't thinking and didn't realize until it was too late I needed to carry 3 people in my car. So we had to do it, I had 3 of us in the car, all of us over 200lbs. It was only a few miles, but the car felt noticeably heavier and sagged down in the rear significantly. We made it though, and the car was ok.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Almost 500LBS. Probably closer to 450 or so. Mainly UPS sized (7AH to 20AH) lead acid batteries, with about 4 or 5 car starting batteries as well. AND my full set of tools as I was on the way to Toronto at the time (battery depot is near the highway).

The car was on the bumpstops an it was a strange feeling having no rear suspension. I didn't notice much sluggishness when accellerating but I did have to get into the gas a little more. The weight of the vehicle made regen last forever....

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have to add this to the thread. If you are on a long trip and the car is really loaded, make sure the vents (two in the back, one behind the passenger seat) are not covered :!: I had the car jammed with the vents covered on a long cross country trip, and the batteries overheated and shut down. Fortunately I was within 40 miles of a Honda dealer, but it was a $90 lesson I wish I had not had to learn :(

·
Registered
131 Posts
while I'm sure that the camping load on my last trip (plus myself and a passenger, so probably nearly 325 lbs of people alone) was probably kind of big, it's nothing compared to the lbs of batteries!

the LARGEST thing I've ever put into my insight was after a trip to ikea with a friend who desperately needed a computer desk - we squeezed all our stuff in it but most impressive was the boxed Johan. I can't find the package dimentions online, but there were a few minutes where I was sure I wouldn't be able to get both my friend AND her furniture into the car. the problem was the teardropping of the back - I could have used a little extra width near the hatch!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great tip!

bfivelover said:
If you are on a long trip and the car is really loaded, make sure the vents (two in the back, one behind the passenger seat) are not covered :!: :(
Thanks B5lover :!: That's a really valuable contribution - too bad it was one you learned the hard way :cry:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
Now there's a line that evokes an image of sardines in a can :!: :p
Ehh, it wasn't so bad for us in the front.... I just felt bad for the "back seat" passenger. :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
I've been the 3rd passenger before. It's fine if not relatively comfortable. Only worry I had was how bad of shape I was going to be in if shot out the hatchback window in an accident.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently fit two complete mountain bikes in the back of my insight, and still carried a passenger! It wasn't particularly heavy (bikes are light), but we spent almost an hour fiddling with where to put the tires and decide what parts could bump against where. The hatch even closed completely..haha...

(The first trick was putting two tires in first, up against the seat backs.. the rest of it was ... interesting. It's probably worthy of a picture; next time I'm up in Greenville where the other bike is, I'll try to remember to take one.)

Yes, I should get a bike rack! Which one and where do I get it!? I don't want to weld my own hitch mount!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts