Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking in my Insight service manual and I see that located just below the oil pressure switch there appears to be a hex head plug of some sort... does anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Without looking, most of the hex plugs I've seen on Honda blocks are coolant drains. It's likely this is also where the block heater element would be installed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a block heater and it installed in place of a square head plug on the back of the block. Would there be more than one coolant drain?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Most engines I've worked with, it's not unusual to have multiple drains for the coolant.

Another possibility is it could be an oil galley plug. Most are contained within the engine, but some engines will have a threaded external galley plugs...Could be a spot to have a mechanical oil pressure guage threaded in as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Prince Valiant said:
Most engines I've worked with, it's not unusual to have multiple drains for the coolant.

Another possibility is it could be an oil galley plug. Most are contained within the engine, but some engines will have a threaded external galley plugs...Could be a spot to have a mechanical oil pressure guage threaded in as well.
I've always installed a T fitting behind the oil pressure switch to run a oil pressure gauge...

It's most likely still a coolant drain, there may be an upper and a lower depending on how much coolant needs to be drained / type of service performed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
pretendtobenormal said:
So you have an oil pressure gauge in your Insight? What size and how do you have it mounted?
No, I don't have one in my Insight, I had one in my old Civic.

If I did, I'd use a standard 2 1/16" meter, probably on the Driver's A-Pillar or close by.

Maybe I dash pod if I wanted to do several.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts