Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have to set my MPG expectations at 42 because, in France, the highway I drive twice a week is very windy, full of hills and the average driver runs at around 135 km/h (83 mph). I know, it's insane and for safety's sake I have to keep up... So my "sweet spot" is around 110 km/h (68 mph) and I stress out every time I have to pass a semi. My Fuelly dashboard is depressing.
Thanks for the link.
You seem often challenged with heavy traffic and haul lots of weight, add the higher speeds and wind loading and ya get mpg eating conditions. Yet you are still getting mpg's at or above the EPA predictions. I wouldn't be depressed, I'd be pleased.

Two things I suggest to maybe do a little better.:

Check tire pressures once a month. Especially with the cold of winter coming soon. The recommended tire pressure numbers are good. An additional 2-3 psi is perfectly safe, and may yield better handling with extra weight in the car. I and others getting 50mpg+ go higher.

Second, on the energy flow screen, try driving as much as you can with the gas pump icon dark and an active arrow from the battery to the car icon. It takes a light touch on the gas pedal, but you are getting 150mpg, and running exclusively on electricity stored in the battery. Make good use of those hills by recharging the battery on downgrades. Use your left foot to very lightly tap the brake pedal, but so lightly you are not actually braking/slowing down. This will put some extra energy into the battery for later use in battery only operation ( "EV mode").

See "Blue Bird" 2010 Insight at Fuelly for my mpg and commentary.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Great suggestions Moviemike!

When adding extra pressure, never go over the cold PSI or KPA limit printed on the sidewall of your tire.

My Insight came with Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 tires. Max Cold Pressure for this tire is 44 PSI or 300 KPA. I keep them 40 PSI (276 KPA) front and 38 PSI (262 KPA) rear. The car rides fine and handles a little sharper than at recommended pressure, plus it helps me get very good fuel efficiency.

Like Moviemike suggested, check those tire pressures frequently. A 10 degree Fahrenheit (5.5 degree Celsius) drop in outdoor temperature will drop tire pressure by about 1 PSI or about 7 KPA. It's not uncommon to see quick and rather large temperature drops this time of year. And tires generally lose about 1 PSI (7 KPA) per month on their own. So that loss can start to pile up after a short while. Lower than recommended tire pressure will cause higher fuel usage.

Low Rolling Resistance tires do help stretch fuel mileage a bit.

Keeping cargo to the lightest possible amount each time you travel will help save fuel. Any extra weight has to be dragged up every hill.

·
Registered
27 Posts
65 MPG at 45 to 55 MPH

Here in South Florida, we have to run the a/c just about all year 'round. However, we get some beautiful days in the winter (our version) where the temperature is just perfect and it allows us to keep the compressor off.

The run from Key West to the bottom end of Miami is about 125 miles. The maximum speed limit is 55MPH. Some legs are 45MPH. On several occasions, I've hit 65 MPG making that trip in the winter. In the summer, with the a/c cranking my best leg has been in the 50 MPG range.

This beats the heck out of my V8 powered pick-up truck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am also in Florida and am finding the same results as you are, The car seems to like the warmer weather which would make sense I guess. This car is doing as good as when I initiated this post.
The car seldom goes below 50 mpg and I mostly average like 58, There are days that I will take a trip and hit the magic 64 mpg on that trip. Incredible!
Why Honda never marketed this car, I will never know?
Honda has a really nice line of new cars now including the redesigned Civic, They are not pushing Hybrids at all. Thats a real shame.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
The new Honda Accord Hybrid is getting good reviews.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts