Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for reading over all of this, I'll try and condense as much as possible.

I have owned my Insight for about 8 months now and it is the first time I have driven it in cold weather. I live in Wisconsin so it is seeing single digit temperatures. I've started to notice that shifting, especially first gear, is not as smooth and can make some noise. As I try to move it I feel resistance and it pops out. It seems to be a bigger problem when the car is cold but can happen at any time. I've done all the necessary maintenance and tranny fluid is about due but I plan to do it sooner rather than later. What kind of fluid should I buy? I would rather suffer mpg if I need something more viscous to protect my transmission. Any other thoughts as to what is going on? I never get this resistance in 4th or 5th gear.

Second, my oil drain plug has been leaking for a while now. I ordered the Fumoto valve as the forum suggests and have done all the reading on this subject. The valve came and it didn't fit, the bolt in my Insight is larger than the Fumoto. I then assumed that my drain pan was re-tapped so I sent back the Fumoto. I have since researched the forum and find that the drain plug diameter is a m-14, which, low and behold is the same as is in my Insight. Is this information correct? Was I just sent the wrong size valve?

Lastly, can someone please point me to a forum that talks about how to change the ground straps. I've searched but cannot find any(I must be blind).

Thanks for your time and advice!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
When you first tried to install the Fumoto valve, did you remove the metal plate between the oil pan and the drain plug? If you don't, you might not catch the threads with the shorter Fumoto and think it was too small.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
the Fumoto valve is the F-106N part number
My vehicle had the plate removed too to mount the valve.
Ground straps are easy to fix but also check if your motor mount may be shot at the rear and making the engine shake breaking the straps.
Check for corrosion.

[Honda's Manual Transmission Fluid is what I used in my transmission oil change recommended every 30,000 mi / 48,000 km or 2 years.
Alternatives to the factory recommended fluid exist, including Castrol VMZ80, Amsoil ATF, and Redline MTL. ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts