Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I see this get asked a lot in other posts so I've compiled all of the info I could find on the Stock wheels and tires.

Stock Wheel
Mfg: Asahi Tec Corporation
Size: 14 x 5.5 J
Bolt Pattern: 4-100mm
Lug Size: 12 x 1.5mm
Offset: +45H
Weight: 11 lbs
Finish: Aluminum
Style: 12 slot

Stock Tire
Mfg: Bridgestone
Model: Potenza RE92
Size: 165/65 R14
Compound: 78S
Treadwear: 260
Traction: A
Temp: B
Weight: 11.5
Pressure: 44psi
RPM: 926

The following tire sizes are currently available to fit the stock wheel from major tire chains.

165/65 R14
175/65 R14 -2.3 MPH difference at speedo, 908 RPM
185/60 R14 -1.3 MPH difference at speedo, 914 RPM
195/55 R14 0.0 (same as stock)

Note:
The Maximum fitment tire and wheel size for the Insight is the 205/40 R16x7 while retaining the same tire diameter. And yes, this size fits quite easily behind the wheel skirts. :)

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Thanks Sparky5501. But which of those replacement tyre sizes has the lowest profile? Presumably 175/65?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The second number is the profile so 195/55R14 has the lowest profile of the tires listed.

Even with a brand new Insight on OEM tires when your speedo says you driving at 100 km/hr you are really travelling at 98 km/hr. Yes, this means in reality your fuel consumption is 2% worse then you think!
The truth hurts!
Test it yourself with a GPS.

So 185/60R14 tires would actually increase the accuracy of your speedometer and odometer.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Guillermo said:
So 185/60R14 tires would actually increase the accuracy of your speedometer and odometer.
Perfect! Glad I got that size. Revolutions/mile will also increase as your tires wear down, which is another reason to start on the low side.

This might be a good place to dump our new tire/wheel specs as well, for those of us who have punted the Potenzas. I have Cooper Lifeliner SLE, 185/60 R14, 82H, 420AA. No particular reason -- just went to a tire shop and these had the best wear rating and quietest ride.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect! Glad I got that size. Revolutions/mile will also increase as your tires wear down, which is another reason to start on the low side.
Yes this is true. Your tire makes fewer revolutions to cover the same distance as the stock tire.

Several factors are at play with larger diameter tires. First one being weight. The new tire is a few pounds heavier than the stock. Second, increased friction from the larger contact patch. Third, better conservation of momentum (from more weight and larger diameter) but is hampered by the increased friction. From just glancing at the numbers it is plausable that the 185/60 R14 will give a marginaly better actual output than the stock tires. Even taking into account the false reading from the MPG indicator.

I'm running the HUGE 205/40 R16s right now and my milage has dropped 10 MPG. The tire is the same diameter but the increased friction and weight are requiring more power usage from the engine.
They sure look good and stick like snot on the corners but are a real drag for gas milage. I'm getting 45 city 51 highway with the HUGE tire wheel combo. I guess I'll live with it for a while and switch back to the stock tires when it's summer again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If the Insight uses 14x5.5" wheels, then you should also be able to use Honda HX wheels ('96-'00) that weight 11lbs and has the same dimensions. I believe the offset is same as well.

What size rotors does Insight use? Does anyone know? If there is a lot of room behind the stock wheel (to clear the caliper), then one might also be able to fit Civic VX wheels which are 13x5", but weigh 8 lbs each. :shock:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes I use 8lb 13" VX rims and they fit great!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've only got a few more weeks till my Volk ce28n 14x5.5 with a +45 offset come in from japan. They only weigh 6.5lbs each...
Also plan on using the super light weight Ray's lugnuts. .8 oz each.

I'll probably stick with stock tires and size unless I can find something as light.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Cakley,
It would be great if you go to the drap strip or dyno your car before and after you put on your new super light rims to see how much difference it makes.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've allready done the before and I am planning on two more dyno runs. One with my muffler and intake mod and then another with the rims. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
987 Posts
As a data point, the steel wheels from an 89 Civic that I'm proposing to use with my snow tires weigh 14 pounds. Have not tried them on the car yet, though...

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Some important info that has been left off Sparky's original post is the size of the hole in the centre of the wheel. It MUST be a good fit on the stubb of the car as it is this, and not the 4 nut studs that are meant to take all the load. If you fit a wheel with a larger hole, you will be stressing your wheel studs higher than they were designed for.

Rog

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Has anyone thought to fit Moondisks like the old speed record cars had on occasions. The alluminium disks should suit our aerodynamic requirements and cover up nasty tatty wheels

I saw some on the Morgan hydrogen cell car at the Geneva show and the guy said they were from an aftermarket VW camper supplier :shock:

Rog

·
Registered
987 Posts
According to TireRack, the Blizzak 155/80-13 tires go 906 revs per mile, while the stock RE92s go 926. Therefore, the car thinks it's going a shorter distance than it really is, so the calculated MPG is low. The difference is 2.2%. So can I now multiply my MPG numbers by 1.022? For bragging purposes, or tire LRR comparisons, I mean.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just purchased a set of Honda Civic VX rims. Anyone else running these that can show me what it's going to look like before I spend 30 minutes mounting them? ? ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don't know what the VX rims would look like on your car, but if you are going to sell your old Insight wheels, I would be interested in buying one. Post some pics of your car with the VX wheels when you get them installed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
17 Participants
insightful_pony_driver
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing