Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is due to the zero degree Farenheit weather or not, but for the last several days, my Insight, on hard right hand accelerations from a stop will wheel hop.

I think it is the front right hand wheel and I suspect that it is due to the 'frozen' fluid in the differential.

This doesn't seen to happen on left turns.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
95 Posts
With a little bit of gravel on the road the Insight will break lose the in side wheel fairly easily (as compared to other economy cars). I believe that the tire starts to slip then grabs repeatedly, this and the torsion spring effect of the half shaft gives the wheel hop sensation. Also CVT cars have a more pronounced surge effect due to the spring rate of the CVT belt and pulley contact effects (CVT’s are known to ‘rubber band’). The electric motor makes great torque at low speed in comparison to ‘normal’ cars.

The oil being cold would inhibit the function of the differential, not hinder it. This would tend to reduce the effect. And the oil will get thick but not freeze at temperatures any sane human would try to drive in (I think Honda says something about -30 or -40). However the shocks and struts will be stiffer from the cold and tend to transfer more road noise to the cabin.

I also noticed that a right hand turn is more prone to have wheel spin. Then it occurred to me that right hand turns are usually sharper (for us in the US). I experimented my pulling out of my gravel drive way to the left, in to the on coming lane and the wheel slip is about the same.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My Insight experiences wheel hop when i'm doing a hard launch from a standing start in an autoslalom. With Race compound tires if I rev the engine to 3500 RPM and hold it there while i drop the clutch, the front wheels hop for 2 seconds before hooking up.
I try to avoid inducing tire hoping like that because it puts a lot of stress on the drive axles (specially with uber sticky tires).

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
It happened to me once when showing off the acceleration of the Insight in cold weather. I was apologetic but my passenger seemed all the more impressed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I believe the wheel hop is normal and isn't related to temperature. I've noticed my CVT tends to hop during hard acceleration especially if any sand/gravel is present and I'm pulling out into traffic. Under normal conditions, I do not experience any wheel hop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts