Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a reasonably accurate measurement of the mass of one Insight alloy wheel (ie minus tyre) please?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
11 lbs +/- 1 lb

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, light aren't they? I have bought some 15 inch ex-Accord factory alloys (same width) but they're 7.5kg (ie 16.5 lb) each.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You will feel the extra weight of the 15" rims with tires specially at 16lbs each!
Rotating mass at the wheels is much more significant then carrying extra weight in the trunk.
For better handling and braking performance just get better tires.

I have Kosei K1 TS 14"x6" rims I use with race compound tires.
These rims weigh only 9.3 lbs ;)
http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/CallJsp?target=wheelSearchCloseUp&wheelIndex=3&sizeIndex=0&showRear=no&setIndex=0&filterSize=14&filterFinish=&filterSpecial=

Notice the 2 air valves which means there's only one within reach below the rear wheel covers. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Guillermo, (et al)

Do you know the weight of VX rims? BTW, why are you discussing the weight in the archaic pound unit? Shouldn't you be standing up for the kg? I think you and maybe Yves have posted before about the merits of 13 inch rims, but I would like to hear your thoughts now too if you have the time, and Yves if you're listening.

Extra Credit: All other things being equal (as if they ever are) do you or anybody know how much more a 13 inch tire with the same outer diameter as the stock 14 tires would weigh? I'm thinking not much more at all since the tread area would be the same, just more sidewall.

I'm considering a tall narrow 13 inch tire, mostly for comfort.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
13" Honda VX rims weigh 8lbs each.

I use them for my winter tires but next year i'm buying 14" winter tires because the tall sidewalls of the 13" are annoying.
There is a noticeable delay in steering responce with the taller sidewalls.
For max comfort I suggest 185/60R14 tires with 30 psi in the tires...
:lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the information. People seem to have caught on to the value of the VX rims, it's hard to find them cheap here but I'm keeping my eyes open, sidewall flex notwithstanding.

Funny you should mention the 185's. I have a set of studded winter tires left from my previous car, I'll just let some air out of them and off I go... :shock:

·
Registered
68 Posts
'93-'95 Honda Civic hatchback Alloys

Has anyone ever tried these alloys, from a '93-95 Honda Civic Si hatchback? I know they will fit being 14 inch x 5 1/2", 4 x 100 bolt pattern and 45 mm offset. This car was not much heaver than the Insight. Any one know how much they weigh? They are obtainable refurbished and look somewhat like the 15" Honda Fit wheels. They should hold their value and would be nice for the Toyo T1 R 195/55 R14 tires.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q217/RobMason_photos/aly63801u.jpg

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Most 14" Honda OEM alloy rims weigh between 15 to 17 lbs each (built for strength).
I have used 14" acura rims that look very similar to the one you describe and I believe they weighed 17 lbs each.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Honda wheels

Here is a great site for looking up different wheels for the civic (or any other car), and the pictures of them for reviewing. Unfortunately they don't list weights of the individual wheels.

http://www.wheelcollision.com/honda2.htm

They made an 8 spoke 14" wheel for an '96-'00 Civic ( H3756), that looks very similar to the 13" VX wheel, I wish I knew its weight.

·
Registered
702 Posts
moses said:
Hey Guillermo, (et al)

...BTW, why are you discussing the weight in the archaic pound unit? Shouldn't you be standing up for the kg?

...I think you and maybe Yves have posted before about the merits of 13 inch rims, ...do you or anybody know how much more a 13 inch tire with the same outer diameter as the stock 14 tires would weigh?...I'm considering a tall narrow 13 inch tire, mostly for comfort.

the archaic pound unit? you insist on standing up for the kg...yet u still use inches...shouldnt u b using cm?

:lol: (just teasin ya :p )

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If comfort is your goal, let some air out of your tires... The 13" ones are going to weigh more than the stock 14" tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts