Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to be late to this. I'm relatively new to Insight ownership, but those parts don't look like they came off the car - seems to me either you picked them up on the road and they caused the problem, or they just happened to be already sitting in the car park. Were they hot? If stuck somewhere between wheel or brake disc and brake calliper I would expect there to also be some significant scoring visible.

The brake discs and pads don't look at all bad to me - seems a waste to change everything if it's just one stuck calliper.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
321 Posts
Sorry to be late to this. I'm relatively new to Insight ownership, but those parts don't look like they came off the car - seems to me either you picked them up on the road and they caused the problem, or they just happened to be already sitting in the car park. Were they hot? If stuck somewhere between wheel or brake disc and brake calliper I would expect there to also be some significant scoring visible.

The brake discs and pads don't look at all bad to me - seems a waste to change everything if it's just one stuck calliper.
I agree. Those aren't Insight parts that fell off. I'm not even sure how stuck the caliper is, the pads are pretty evenly worn and they don't look overheated to me.

Reactions: tm632

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
321 Posts
Now that I looked again, that cast iron broke a while ago, the broken areas are rusty. Are you sure they came from your car, or is it possible you just parked next to them?

Reactions: tm632

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
I agree with the people who think those aren't Insight parts. They're definitely not the heat shield... Whether or not you have a bonafide stuck caliper, hard to say, you have to take the word of the mechanic if you're not doing your own work. But the pictures the mechanic posted show some pretty crusty brakes in general. If it were my car I'd be overhauling the brakes myself, cleaning them up, new rotors and pads, brake line/hose if it's damaged, the rest just reconditioned. If I had to pay someone to replace calipers/pads/rotors, I think it might be worth... $400.

My guess is that debris came from the road, kicked up into the brake/wheel area and rubbed against stuff. Whether it caused damage, again, who knows. Theoretically the mechanic who looked at it should know, so if you get the brakes replaced that aspect, you'd think, would be 'covered', i.e. you should be good to go and not have to worry about it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts