Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got over 600 miles now on my new 5-speed. It is showing 3 bars of fuel level. How low can I safely go without running out of gas?
Very simple, actually. I'm a hypermiler, and I keep a log of exactly how much gas I put in on every fillup, how many miles on the tank, etc, etc. By filling up to the brim (so that gas is literally sitting right there), I *KNOW* I have exactly the same amount of gas in the tank every time I leave the station.Dougie said:I don't get the idea behind "run it practically dry then fill it up to the brim." Why not run it between, say, 3/4 and 1/4 full? That way you don't take a chance on running out of gas, and also you don't carry around 20 pounds of extra weight?
i was under the impression that the fuel guage was non-linear.... although exactly how much bigger the top "half" is should be interestingpsuinsight said:On my last fillup (today) I was trying to fill up at the gauge's half way point, but I slightly missed the point. My gauge read 1 bar below half full...and my tank took 6.058 gallons. The tank is rated at 10.6 gallons so I would expect half full to be 5.3 gallons. At one bar below half it appears that slightly over 6 gallons to fill up indicates pretty good accuracy for the fuel gauge
My mpg was about 57 mpg which is mostly hilly rural road and town driving.
I really appreciate the vapor recovery system on the Insight. While living in Maryland I got used to pump nozzles with vapor recovery...nice, no gas fumes to inhale. When I moved back to Central; PA no vapor recovery on the pump nozzles :shock: When I bought my Insight I was delighted to find that the vapor from the pump nozzle seemed to stay in the fuel tank. Nice job Honda!!!
I usually fill my insight within 20 miles of losing my last bar. When I do this, I also usually put in about 12 gallons. (1.5 of which is "overfill" to get the gas up the the gas cap). Under these conditions, I lose my first bar of gas after about 30% of the miles I'd expect from that tank. At 1/2 full indicated, I've traved about 60% of my total range, and at 3 bars showing, I've gone about 90% of my total range.goat961 said:i was under the impression that the fuel guage was non-linear.... although exactly how much bigger the top "half" is should be interesting
This made me laugh. I bought my Insight last Thursday and was just thumbing through the owner's manual. When I got to the part that told me the gas cap was on the passenger's side of the car, I was like, "What!?" On every Honda I've ever owned, the gas cap has been on the driver's side.b1shmu63 said:...and driving so long between fill ups that you forget which side of the car the filler is on. :roll: