Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMA light came on with these error codes: P 1601, 1649, 1444, 1447
It was suggested that I charge, which I'm doing with the key on.
Reading more threads subsequently, there is lots of encouragement to do a long slow discharge before recharging.
Should I do this, and if so how?
I'm not a mechanic but can follow instructions. Photos of the charger I have are posted on this thread from earlier.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
IMA light came on with these error codes: P 1601, 1649, 1444, 1447
It was suggested that I charge, which I'm doing with the key on.
Reading more threads subsequently, there is lots of encouragement to do a long slow discharge before recharging.
Should I do this, and if so how?

Do NOT do a discharge first! Do a 24 to 35 hour grid charge first.

I'm not a mechanic but can follow instructions. Photos of the charger I have are posted on this thread from earlier.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.
The label on the charger case is for when the case was a computer power supply. Disregard those numbers.

Go to my website and read the Insight grid charger/discharger article to learn about charging etc. I also show how to build your own discharger which uses a short piece of a wood board, two old fashioned light bulbs and two sockets for the bulbs. I used a long vacuum cleaner power cord to connect the discharger so I could have the bulbs in my garage to check the voltage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The label on the charger case is for when the case was a computer power supply. Disregard those numbers.

Go to my website and read the Insight grid charger/discharger article to learn about charging etc. I also show how to build your own discharger which uses a short piece of a wood board, two old fashioned light bulbs and two sockets for the bulbs. I used a long vacuum cleaner power cord to connect the discharger so I could have the bulbs in my garage to check the voltage.
Disregard which numbers?
Link for website?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I plugged it in for a few hours. It started at 170, and the last time I looked it said 169, so I've unhooked it. I assume this was the right thing to do since it was going in the wrong direction?

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
Click on olrowdy01's "Show full signature" for details.

·
Super Moderator
7,165 Posts
Disregard which numbers?
Link for website?
Sorry, I got that one started. Apparently, as olrowdy says, the charger is a homebuilt using a power supply case from a computer, so he means to disregard the numbers on the side label. Those numbers apparently apply to the original power supply which was in the case. This is a common build method for home built grid chargers.

From the pictures, the grid charger appears to be of adequate quality, so I'd go ahead and use it. Try letting it run for up to 30 hours. Fact that it shows a drop of 1V doesn't mean much since the meter only reads 3 digits. It might not have really dropped at all. If the voltage doesn't rise any more after 10 hours or so, then you can stop. Read the mA meter on the bottom to see if the battery is taking any charge current. If the Voltage(V) meter drops by 2-3V then you should discontinue.

MAKE SURE YOU HEAR THE IMA FAN RUNNING UNDER THE CARPET. A few people have built grid charger without fan power, and that is a bad thing. (I don't mean the fan on the charger - I mean the fan on the IMA battery under the rear carpet.) Good luck and get back to us.

You originally had this all going in 3 threads. I hope you see how confusing that can be and won't do that again. Stick to one thread :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will stick to one. Sorry about that.
Will try to charge again tomorrow pm. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
7,165 Posts
169-170V is not excessive, so give it several hours to see if it will start climbing. Make sure the mA meter shows some charge current. You should be ok. If it climbs, let it go for 25-30 hours until it stops climbing. This is the usual guidance.

It is really important that the IMA battery fan run. Since you have a home made charger, do your best to detect the sound of of the fan. Some folks have built chargers with no provisions to run the IMA fan. You can turn back the rear carpet and remove the felt cargo well liner. That will allow you to hear better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi. FYI today, after driving more mindfully since the light came on, and making sure the battery was charging, today the light went off. I will call the shop tomorrow and let them know. Any thoughts?
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
7,165 Posts
The few hours you charged earlier probably helped some. I'd still hook the charger back up and do a thorough charge until the voltage no longer rises. There are some other steps you could take if you had a multimeter and felt like taking the cover off the battery. Many folks measure the tap voltages to get some idea of the operating balance of the battery. Isn't difficult, but you do need the meter and a few tools, including a T30 Torx to get the special bolts out.

post #2.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have discharge twice . 24 1/2 hours ago started charging .120 V and checking pretty open last hour last three hours I have been at 173 . 15 minutes ago I figured I would shut it all down go somewhere OK it was up to 174 .guess I'll wait a little longer.

·
Super Moderator
7,165 Posts
It rises slowly at the end of a good soak charge because only the weaker cells are rising in voltage. That is the whole idea behind grid charging ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,165 Posts
At 36 hrs, I'd probably stop and drive it a few days and see how it works. I assume that you can hear the IMA cooling fan running???

1 - 20 of 70 Posts