Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is really just to satisfy my curiosity, but I was just wondering what other's experiences have been. I'm at 28,000 miles and still haven't had a recal.

Chris in Washington, NH

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Chris G:

___If you can do without assist under most circumstances and use good thermal management, you might never have one. I don’t know your local NH. terrain but if it is mountainous, you are probably forced to use Assist more then some of us Midwesterner’s unfortunately. The good thing is that if you do live in NH., your summer time temps are more then likely lower then those living in the south and southwest. In any case, on the warmest days, get those windows cracked while parked in the sun. Trust me, it works really really well.

___I have a minimal pack use driving style and always use good thermal management. With that, I have never had a recal at the 64,500 miles mark and actually don’t ever expect one.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3bhpqacc][email protected][/email:3bhpqacc]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
If your driving a CVT (automatic) then never. If a 5spd then its on its way! (sometime) <g>

HTH! :)
Why ?

Is this due to lean burn, what is not in the CVT ?

BTW: Happy new Year to all Insightowners !!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Well,

I oversimplified my reply a bit. A CVT has an additional dimension of battery SoC control in that it can "downshift" the CVT in balance with the IMA's SoC to better manage overall IMA battery performance.

I've read several reports over the years from CVT owners that the do not experience the "traditional" dreaded recal. Specifically the loss of power during the event.
Although I have corresponded with one CVT owner that correctly pointed out that he had seen the SoC rapidly fall without a sustained assist to explain the event.

Given this better ability to manage the battery by balancing ICE with IMA power overall recals are _reportedly_ less frequent with CVT's than 5 spds.

Sounds like a good new thread topic to me!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,900 Posts
John;
My theory is that the CVT models normally run in the 2500 rpm range. Only a CVT driver can verify this. (We need some stats on rpm vs mph in a CVT) Also they apparently put a different BCM into the CVT's. (Different part number.)

After My original IMA battery was replaced, (a new BCM came with it). I saw a different "pattern" of IMA charging versus the old one.

Esp:
If you keep a constant 4 bars of assist during a slight uphill climb, once the IMA gauge gets to the horizontal position (1/2 full, or empty), the assist will stop and 4 bars of regen will start. Keeping the same throttle position will slow the vehicle gradually because of the regen and the battery will charge back to "near full".

What do you think?
Maybe that is why Honda selected 2500 rpm as the "sweet spot".

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Willie,

Its a complex question. I'm sure you've seen my thread:

"Recal's, Forced charge, IMA Battery and Thermal mgmt - long"
in problems and troubleshooting

Started in Nov. 03, with some of my observations beginning almost 6 months prior.

I don't know if we can pin down all the complexities especially with all the variables individual driver's and conditions add.

Both the MCM & BCM have updated PN's for most 01 and earlier models. There's a buliten. See my reply in the thread on pg 4:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... ea6793c329

So there will be differences there too.

Anyway. I started a survey thread. Maybe we'll see some interesting data emerge there. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts