Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the oil runs out I plan to be off the grid with solar panels and maybe a wind turbine for my home energy source.
For transportation I can bike, hike, and cross country ski. Maybe a modification to my Insight such as conversion to an electric motor with batteries I could recharge from my house system.
It could all be a pipe dream about the Insight modification, but the home solar/wind system is definitely in my plans.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The Insight takes so little fuel that it is practical to make your own ethanol fuel. By then battery booster systems like the one Mike is developing will likely double it's effective mileage. We will not likely run out of fuel even if we run out of oil, as sythetic gasoline will be produced from coal. Shudder!

·
Registered
222 Posts
When the oil runs out, you won't be around I'm afraid. A sick side of me wishes I could be alive to see what happens when it really starts to get dry, but the other side of me is glad to be living when it's still flowing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can the Insight rum on ethanol? Ooops, I spelled run "rum" ...was that a Freudian slip? For that matter can the Insight run on rum? Maybe bacardi 151? Too much sugar I suppose. Would probably gum things up. Can a car get a DUI?
OK, now I am just being silly.
If, well, when the oil runs out will things really be all that bad? Except for not being able to tool around in my Insight.
All this discussion about oil reminds me...I need to fill up. Gee, it has been about a month since the last fill up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Will things be bad when oil runs out?

Given the huge number of "things" that are made from petroleum, plus almost all of our transportation of people and things being based on it, and given humans' natural hording behaviors plus the way we get all panicky and then violent when faced with shortages of "things"...

I would say there is a scary good chance of horrifying rioting and loss of governmental control with possibly apocolyptic results.

Or maybe it will run out very slowly, and combined with the extraction from coal already mentioned, it will be a much slower, yet still struggle-filled conversion to the alternatives driven by the progressively higher cost of oil.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I just heard that scientist may now believe oil is not from organic sources. Some old oil wells that were empty have now filled back up. If it turns out oil is a geologic result, we could have an endless supply. This is all still under debate and observation.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I think I am sorry I started this thread now. I suppose there is a chance for scary stuff in the future (key errie sci fi music), but let's be positive and try to encourage fuel saving vehicles, home solar power, sensible use of energy, and other green stuff. If we start now any future impact will be much easier to handle.

:D 8) :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.