Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you're driving a gen 1 Insight on a dark country road, and a big possum appears before you in the middle of a curve, just for an instant, you brace for an impact like it's a wild hog. Or that's just me, going from the big van to the low-slung Honda tends to skew my perspective for a while.

BTW, sorry possum, I tried...

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I can't say anything about possums in AZ (I'm sure we have them), but I can attest to the "low-slung" aspect... I drive 40mph and feel like I'm going 60mph... :)

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I can't say anything about possums in AZ (I'm sure we have them), but I can attest to the "low-slung" aspect... I drive 40mph and feel like I'm going 60mph... :)
Just think of it like a squishy armadillo.

·
3,641 Posts
I've encountered a raccoon family in a blind curve on a dark rainy night in NC with my first Insight.
Insight: 1... Racoons: 0
But I thought I left a transmission in the middle of the road. When I got out, I found no damage to car, and racoons scattered nowhere to be found.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I smoked an old raccoon dead center my car at 80mph. Destroyed the bumper, radiator, and the subframe bar or what ever it is under the radiator. I should have taken pics but didn't. Was also really surprised my insurance company didn't want to total it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
You have full coverage still on your car? I'm surprised. Or does uninsured/underinsured somehow cover animals I'm not aware of.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I smoked an old raccoon dead center my car at 80mph. Destroyed the bumper, radiator, and the subframe bar or what ever it is under the radiator. I should have taken pics but didn't. Was also really surprised my insurance company didn't want to total it.
Noooo my Bandit brother :(...

Must have been a fat coon to do that sort of damage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Several years ago, my wife and I went for a nighttime drive in the country. It was one of those nights when we just wanted to get out somewhere, anywhere. As we drove, I kept seeing snakes crossing the road, almost like a migration. They were all heading across in the same direction, and they were all copperheads. Dozens of them, over about an 8 mile stretch of road. I managed not to run over any of them, and my wife waited a really long time before she asked me what kind of snakes those were.

She'd wanted to live in that part of the country for years. After the night of the snakes, she never talked about it again.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Noooo my Bandit brother :(...

Must have been a fat coon to do that sort of damage.
It was a sad day. I love coons, they're one of my favorite animals..
You have full coverage still on your car? I'm surprised. Or does uninsured/underinsured somehow cover animals I'm not aware of.
Oddly enough, yeah. It cost me about $5 more a month to have full coverage with a super low deductible than to not have it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Oddly enough, yeah. It cost me about $5 more a month to have full coverage with a super low deductible than to not have it.
Haha, cool, so $60/year.

How much did insurance pay out to fix the damages? They just give you cash, or you actually had to get it fixed and submit receipts?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Haha, cool, so $60/year.

How much did insurance pay out to fix the damages? They just give you cash, or you actually had to get it fixed and submit receipts?
Right, so definitely worth it in my opinion.

I don't recall exact numbers, but it was probably about how much the car is worth now. ;)
I had to bring it to a qualified shop, they fixed it, insurance paid for it, and I went on my merry way.

·
Registered
850 Posts
So in theory you already got enough pay back to keep paying that extra full coverage for the next 30-50 years or so. Good gamble!

This makes me reconsider adding full coverage to mine...heh.

·
Super Moderator
4,730 Posts
Insurance isn't a car decision. It's a financial decision. More and more people these days are living on the edge financially and are not able to replace their car if it gets wrecked. Many here don't even seem to be able to replace a battery. These people need full coverage Collision.

OTOH, if you have multiple cars, good credit, or money in the bank equal to the value of your car, you can get by with less coverage. If you have mega-millions, and can sustain a lawsuit if you happen to do something that kills somebody, you don't even need Liability.

It's all about the money, not the car. If you're driving a $1,000 car and don't have or can't easily get $1,000, you need insurance that will replace your car.

Sam

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Hit a Raccoon on my way to work one day on a narrow secondary road. I'm glad I had full coverage at the time, but could have covered the cost out of pocket--forget how much--$2,000 or so.... Smacked the lower/right bumper, taking out the A/C condenser along with other parts that got in the way.

You know how that rabbit feels
Going under your speeding wheels
Bright images flashing by
Like windshields towards a fly
Frozen in the fatal climb
But the wheels of time
Just pass you by...

·
Super Moderator
4,730 Posts
A few years ago I bought a car to flip. I was out of work at the time and only put Liability coverage on it. In about two seconds I reduced it from a $7,000 car to a $0 car. I sure didn't make any money on THAT one. Lesson learned.

Sam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts