Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get my 2000 Insight on the road again because of the high gas prices. It has sat in my garage for two years. I found out that the clutch pedal goes to the floor and there is no resistance. I can't get the car into gear. I looked inside the firewall and it has evidence of a leak. I filled the resivior with Dot3 fluid and still nothing. I want to replace the master cylinder but it is discontinued. I can still get the slave unit and was wanting to replace them both. Does anyone know of a place that still sells discontinued parts such as the master cylinder assembly? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
Frequently Honda stops production before the aftermarket. I'd try rockauto.com. Good chance they will have it. If not try the major automotive stores, since they may have different suppliers they may come through. It would be a good time to renew your brake master also. Wouldn't hurt to put a rear cylinder on the spares shelf. I've doing things like this to insure I can keep my cars on the road.:)

·
Super Moderator
5,508 Posts
RockAuto or maybe your local parts store.

Sam

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frequently Honda stops production before the aftermarket. I'd try rockauto.com. Good chance they will have it. If not try the major automotive stores, since they may have different suppliers they may come through. It would be a good time to renew your brake master also. Wouldn't hurt to put a rear cylinder on the spares shelf. I've doing things like this to insure I can keep my cars on the road.:)
Sounds good! Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight, 5MT
121 Posts
FYI I replaced mine with Centric parts from Rock Auto 10 months ago, and mine feels great. Replaced the line too so I can be DONE. The line was by far the hardest part just trying to get my hand on it. (Up through the left wheel well, reaching around the tie rod ends and smashing my hands into tight spots to try and get the clips etc)

I frequent aftermarket slave/master cyls. Some companies do poor jobs... so that's why I take the time to share my good experience.

Rectangle Font Number Screenshot Parallel

Reactions: Joule

·
Registered
410 Posts
I decided to get my 2000 Insight on the road again because of the high gas prices. It has sat in my garage for two years. I found out that the clutch pedal goes to the floor and there is no resistance. I can't get the car into gear. I looked inside the firewall and it has evidence of a leak. I filled the resivior with Dot3 fluid and still nothing. I want to replace the master cylinder but it is discontinued. I can still get the slave unit and was wanting to replace them both. Does anyone know of a place that still sells discontinued parts such as the master cylinder assembly? Thanks in advance.
I had this happen with an Insight that had sat for a long time. I decided to flush the system and upon doing so the pedal returned to normal function. You may give this a try.

·
Linsight Designer
3,463 Posts
no problem... I just bought another one "just in case." This is a very common failure on these cars, and I want to make sure I can keep mine on the road until I die.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got an email from Hondapartsnow that my clutch master cylinder is discontinued. I hope that I can get another one somewhere. I just checked Advance Auto and Auto Zone and the price is much cheaper! AutoZone has a lifetime warranty. Advance Auto is just one year. I will be stopping by the AutoZone today!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
@Honda hybrid442 shortly after purchasing my insight the clutch pedal started giving out. I was short on funds at the time, being that I had just purchased a car. I took my master cylinder apart and cleaned it up. There was some Gunk on the aluminum housing where one of the seals met up . I'd post pics but they're buried on an old phone somewhere. I reinstalled the master cylinder and everything worked fine. That was 0ver 40,000 miles ago and it's still going strong YMMV.

I can't remember what led me to diagnose the cause of the problem to the master cylinder. I think it was just process of elimination and that's where I started. So I can't guarantee you that a master cylinder will fix your problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts