Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know where I can get a new furuwaka or one just good or better? I know about the Hawker, but are there any other choices?

I took my 2001 CVT into the dealer this morning to have them "service" and charge my original furuwaka 12volt battery (indicator on battery said needs charge). I told the service rep I wanted to just check the battery and service if possible. An hour later the service rep says my car is ready to go with a new honda "replacement" battery already installed. They wouldn't let me have my old battery, they said that they had to send it back to Honda.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
James;
If ti was done under warranty, you can't get it back. If they charged you for the battery, you have the legal right (per state law) to retain the old one.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I've tried a few different routes to find furukawa's, but none worked succesfully. I think your only bet would be to have a large quantity imported from Japan where they are made. I personally switched over to my little Hawker a while back and have had the furukawa sitting there occasionally charging it. It probably won't stay for too long unfortunately. The big civic battery is just way overkill for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi,

I might not be releavent to you but I had put an equivalent to a Civic battery (but with the poles on the correct side: for a Suzuki Sprint).

It is cheap, not much more weight and has more capacity than the furuwaka.

It was a good move for me as this winter the IMA was out and I had to run on the 12v battery alone with all lights on and barely got to a dealer. The engine died once on the dealer lot. You could hardly see that the lights where on. It was dark.

Any smaller battery capacity would have had me pay for a towing which is more than the price of the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input.

I'm going to drive with this battery for now and keep looking for a more high tec solution.

thanks for the majestic honda site, it's a good place to see all the parts possible for any project. But I had already called them and even though their site says furuwaka on it, they really have the same honda replacement type battery.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I inquired about that at majestic honda too, regular civic battery, and they can't ship flooded batteries anyways.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I got a quote from my honda dealer a few months ago.
OEM honda Insight 12v : $150 Canadian
Honda civic battery from dealer: $70 Canadian

Sure it's larger and maybe about 50% heavier then the original but I didn't want to pay so much more money just to save a few kilograms of weight. Civic battery fits perfectly.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Guillermo

Is it the same type of battery we have in the car the smaller one the OEM quote you got? If so what's the name of your dealer. ..

I personally want to save the extra kilograms of weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts