Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got obd2 code p0134...
cleared it with scanner and drove 200 miles home, regenerative braking is not working, battery is taking way long to charge, car runs strange...
opened hood and looked around, to the left of the air filter a 'sensor' has come unscrewed and is not quite hanging loose, but not fitting tight like it should...
is this the o2 sensor? didn't have time to take stuff off to get a better look, have to get some sleep and drive 80 miles to work in 6 hours...
where is the 02 sensor? looking specifically for upper or LAF sensor, if the thing there to the left of the air filter is not the 02 sensor then what is it? could I duct tape it back on for 200 miles? appreciate all of the help!

·
Registered
43 Posts
From the manual:

DTC P0134 A/F Sensor Signal Stuck Lean.

1. Check the installation.

Is it loose?

Yes -- Reinstall the A/F Sensor

So, the manual says to torque this to 33 ft lbs using an O2 sensor socket wrench. Are you saying that you can't get it to screw back in? Or that you can't get it tight enough to keep it from coming loose?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the loose hanging ''thing'' to the left of the air filter is indeed the a/f sensor, it has come unattached and is dangling, I havent had time to even get close enough to see what size replacement screw/bolt I will need,I have an urgent 160 mile trip, I leave in 15 mins, I drove 200++ miles with it loose, whats another 160? If the car is running awful, will try quick, temporary fix of duct taping sensor in place, just until I can do it acurately

in meantime, regenerative braking was not working on my 200 mile trip yesterday, any thoughts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Let's back up a moment. O2 sensors are mounted on the exhaust manifold. What you are describing is the evap cannister purge valve? Trouble there can cause a lean condition as well. Do you get DTC P0171 as well as P0134?

Regardless, chances are that the car is in a limp mode, where it is still driveable but functionality is not optimal due to emission control malfunction. This is why you don't get regen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So then EXACTLY where is o2 sensor?

Igot code p0134 after the car stalled out twice within 60 seconds in a parking lot. Stalled out due to operator error (too many bing hits), not any type of malfunction.
IMA was completely empty and had to leave car parked fir 48 hours. Next time driving took 2.5 hours / 200 miles for battery to completely charge. Usually charges fully within max 40 miles on freeway.
Got home, popped hood and found loose piece by air filter. Evaporative system I guess. It looks like it may have never been screwed in, could it be that it's supposed to dangle?
Also, lifetime mpg is only 47. Bought car used 4 months ago, changed oil and filter and set correct tire pressure and was able to get 107mpg over 40 miles and 63 over several tanks. Then CEL light and code 0134 and mileage is down to 53-ish. I want to locate the o2 sensor to check it/Replace it and just want to find out exactly where it is. Specifically the LAF sensor. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
On my '02 AFAIK the A/F sensor is on the front CAT just below where it bolts on to the exhaust manifold, it pokes through a hole in the heat shield.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It could be that whatever it is that is loose is a red herring. The LAF sensor is the one closest to the engine along the exhaust system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts