Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from my now-closest Honda dealer (not all that close) where I asked them for, essentially, a "used car inspection," as if I was about to buy my '01 Insight 5M (as opposed to having owned it now for 13 years). I just wanted to have a clear idea of what to prepare for as I near the 100K odo marker.

The report was reasonably good...and what it needs is mostly the kind of things that wear out with use (brake pads) or wear out with exposure and time (belts and hoses). To that last point, however, they said they were unable to find a supplier for the lower radiator hose...not available through Honda and also not available through NAPA and any other supplier they checked. The assured me, though, that if I could get one, they would of course discount the job ((including a coolant flush) by the cost of that part.

Has anyone faced this situation? Are there sources in hiding? Is there another hose that will fit without too much bending? Or a "universal fit" type of hose?

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Over 400K miles and all hoses still the same. Haven't replaced any.Take the old hose off and take it into Napa.

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comment (and your personal experience). With a 400K miles number in my head, combined with Rainsux letting me know he had never had to replace either upper or lower hose on his cars, I took my car to a local mechanic who a) I've used before and b) came highly recommended when I moved here and, upon visual and physical inspection, pronounced them "fine."

As I told Rainsux, that leaves me with two possible conclusions: Cynically, I'd have to conclude that the Honda dealer was trying to shake me down for unnecessary work. Charitably, I'd have to conclude that they simply ticked off the boxes of items that were *likely* to be worn after 18 years and 100K miles. If the latter is the case, they clearly did so without actually inspecting the hoses on my particular car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts