Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my electric assist is not triggering enough. My evidence is the battery NEVER goes below two 'ticks' on the meter. Only once did it run down, that was in stop and go, with another passenger in a steep hilly area delivering flyers to mailboxes- many short movements.

I think that is the electric motor would be triggered to assist the gas motor at a lower level that would raise my gas mileage from the current 50-55. - because the gas motor is used less to propel the car over the same distance.

I have heard that these batteries regualrly get drained but mine never does.

Would the dealer have the experience to even understand the question?

Thanks.

GG

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
That behavior is normal. Thats the way the car was designed. The only time you will ever see the battery drain is durring a long steep hill climb. There is no way to calibrate how much the motor is used. If you have a CVT you are espeically likely to see less battery use as well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The IMA (for whatever reason) doesn't run when it has power to conserve fuel. (though it would be nice if it did :/) Instead Honda opted to have the Insight hoard it's battery power so it will be there when you need to accelerate or climb a hill.

It's kind of annoying, in a way, but I guess it would be worse to find yourself at a stoplight at the bottom of a hill with no electric assist on the way up.

Of course, if you knew ahead of time that you wouldn't be needing the battery power, then I could see the application for a "manual override" for the IMA, but I think that would require some fairly heavy duty modification to the ECU to make the IMA engage under different circumstances.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Re: where to get advice/instr. on calibrating electric assis

gorhamgreg said:
the battery NEVER goes below two 'ticks' on the meter.
GG,

go drive up a long hill, or spend a day in heavy stop-and-go city traffic with the lights, AC, defogger, etc. running. I'll bet you can get the battery down to 1/2 full!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I don't think recalibrating anything is possible without doing a lot of digging into the electronics, maybe even reverse-engineering the control software. At the least you'd have to decipher the control codes sent from the ECU to the motor. (If you have the shop manual, all the wires where it just says "pulses".) Then you could maybe wire in a microprocessor that would translate the codes that the ECU is sending out to ones that add more assist.

Another idea that I recall seeing on the board here a while back is to add a controlled leak to the vacuum sensor, because assist is apparently triggered in part by manifold vacuum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts