Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get the cable and software to use on my laptop so that I can check some of the engines readings.

Which one should I get? Where to get it?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
http://www.autotap.com looks like to be a good product. I know that when I had my LT1 camaro that most guys used it. But is it good on the Honda?

What about this autotap EFILive? Can this be used to change the engine settings??

I know that I can use the VAG-COM on my Jetta to adjust the EGR settings to allow for a cleaner intake.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Cakely:

___If I had the money, Autotap looks darn nice given that its beautiful Windows UI is superior to most out there but you may also want to consider OBD-2’s product. It is less costly and written by an individual that was involved with OBD-II protocol’s in the automobile industry. They used to have a deal for college students that cost something like $122.00 complete. OBD-2’s manufacturers code/protocol enhancements are even free in downloadable form although the UI is not nearly as pretty as Autotap. You can read reviews on both over at Bat-Auto.com.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3s3u13bh][email protected][/email:3s3u13bh]

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
FYI & AFAIK,

Only basic OBDII data will be available via any "aftermarket" system for all Hondas.

11 parameters for the Insight:

TPS - Throttle position sensor
Load - Calculated load (%)
ECT - Engine coolant temp
RPM - Engine RPM
Ignition Timing advance
IAT - Intake air temp
MAP - Manifold absolute pressure
LFT - Long term fuel trim
O2s - O2 sensor output - live
O2s - CAT monitoring O2s output
SFT - Short term fuel trim
VSS - Vehicle speed sensor

And Honda is very limited in its "tweaking" of its advanced parameters. So even if you pop for a big bucks $,$$$ Honda OBDII scanner its more limited than what many people are familiar with other manufacturers.

That said, a good aftermarket setup for a palm, pocket PC or laptop will be able to retrieve all the "advanced" diagnostic codes. It will have the Honda specific definition of the code, and clear them when desired without forcing a BCM reset.

HTH!

:)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
cakley said:
John can you recommend Autotap or OBD-2 systems?
I use a Palm PDA for my OBDII adventures so I am not familiar with laptop "systems." I chose Auterra.

http://www.auterra.com

Don't know if they offer laptop PC software though.

Google on the appropriate keyword(s) once you do your homework will yield several sites that specify how to build your own cable if pinching pennies is needed. Its the software to interpret the data that will cost you. :)

Many such vendors offer 30 day money back guarantee so simply play with it a while and find out if it meets your need / expectation.

HTH!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
cakley said:
John does auterra dyno options work on the insight? If so are they accurate?
I believe it will but this type of "dyno" testing has variable error factors such that "true" differences in readings must be averaged over many runs.

My biggest hold back in using the feature is the frontal area specification required. I can scan the front view of the Insight from the SM but converting the file format to a CAD compatible version requires an $80.00 program. CAD would then be able to calculate the frontal area from the correctly scaled drawing.

There were a couple of trial versions of these type programs available the would allow this to be done "free," but again, the error factors makes this feature more of a toy than tool. Useable if you want to go to the trouble of jumping through hoops (multiple "runs" under a variety of weather conditions then averaged).

Also be aware that all "aftermarket" scanners that I am familiar for _most_ manufacturers do not provide access to other diagnostic codes. e.g. SRS (airbag) ABS (anti-lock brake) etc. Although most can be crudely "blinked" out and read via its warning light.

And again only the basic 11 OBDII engine parameters are readable for the Insight and most other Honda models. It is sometimes necessary to monitor advanced parameters to accurately diagnose and repair some trouble codes. IMA functions most certainly being one. :(

HTH ! :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
FYI,

Here are "the real McCoys" and available for purchase.

Honda Diagnostic System (HDS)

The Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) consists of a portable tablet tester and docking station with these features:

Digital multi-meter (DMM) with scope functions
Bar code scanner wand for fast VIN entry
A 12.1-inch high-resolution color touch screen for easy viewing and operation
An instant-on screen display feature
Docking station incorporates expansion ports and a built-in tablet battery charger
This package also includes an integrated Honda Interface Module (HIM) for vehicle communication and ECU rewriting

HDS TDSGDS2200 $7,361.00 - PC required and not included.
- PC (P3 or later)
- CD-ROM drive
- Type II PC Card drive
updates also require a subscription to Honda's online support.
Projected annual cost of software updates for CY 2004 is $712.00.

The older "official" (as used in the dealerships) OBDII tester is supplied by:

http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/mts3100/

Price is in the $3,500 range depending on chosen accessories.

It is still unclear as to the completeness of the available OBDII software for advanced features, although the software advertised by Honda is OBDII complete. Which allows for advanced O2 Sensor, EVAP system, EGR and ECT diagnostics. Which if my memory serves me is still a subset of the software Honda uses (ABS, SRS, and Immobilizer functions do not appear to be supported.

HTH :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Insightful Trekker said:
cakley said:
John does auterra dyno options work on the insight? If so are they accurate?
I believe it will but this type of "dyno" testing has variable error factors such that "true" differences in readings must be averaged over many runs.

My biggest hold back in using the feature is the frontal area specification required. I can scan the front view of the Insight from the SM but converting the file format to a CAD compatible version requires an $80.00 program. CAD would then be able to calculate the frontal area from the correctly scaled drawing.
Thanks for the help. So the dyno would not be accurate unless the frontal area in known. Thats about the only reason I would buy the auterra over obd2 or autotap.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Cakley Wrote:

<snip>

Thanks for the help. So the dyno would not be accurate unless the frontal area in known.

Thats about the only reason I would buy the auterra over obd2 or autotap.

<end quote>

On the road "dyno" testing is subject to external variables such as road surface friction and wind, etc. Therefore trying to compare modifications via horsepower derived from _any_ such method is subject to error. Sure if you have a big enough increase it is usually due to the modification. And the error factor(s) can be considered negligible.

Then best "dyno" for an ultra MPG car is the MPG indicator already available. If your just looking for more power you've bought the wrong car.

Still if you want to _play_ with it the frontal area will be easy enough to obtain.
Heck, I'll do that part of the work if your interested in posting your dyno experiences here. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Insightful Trekker said:
Heck, I'll do that part of the work if your interested in posting your dyno experiences here. :)

I've allready dyno'ed the car in stock form with only the K&N air filter. I posted pictures and results at my web page. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/350420

I will be performing one more run on the dyno to see what effect the muffler and intake mods have done.

And as soon as my $$$$$ rims get shipped from japan I'll do one more dyno.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cakley,
I`ve seen in one of your previous post that you have Vag-Com for your Jetta.
My question is this, as i also have Vag-Com, can i use my Twin-Com interface cable for other brand software like OBDII logger and car-code Obd-2.
Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't think I've ever said I had a Vag-Com for my jetta. I did have a local tdiclub member adjust my EGR settings.

Not sure about your ?. My software is supposed to work on all cars though I have only used it on the Insight.

I did try and download other brands of software (free) and they wouldn't work with my cable set-up???

·
Registered
364 Posts
OBDII Diagnostic Software & Adaptor

New member, Jackmpg
I only know of two versions of software with adaptor. One is located at
http://www.innovationhouse.com/products/obd2_personal_scan_tools.html
. I have no experience with that one. I recently purchased one at
http://www.obd-2.com/ For $185 they sent me the application
software along with a cable and adaptor. It is easy to install and use.
The vehicle connector is located under the dash on the passenger side.
It will give you the vehicle error codes and more along with a short
discription of error. To find error codes in the service manual go to the
first page of the service manual index located at the end of the manual.
The DTC trouble shooting indexes are located there. For technicle
assistance you can call 630-904-5745. If anyone knows of others and
which might be best please let me know.
[email protected]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry Cakley, i misunderstood.
My Vag-Com works fine with the german cars, i tried to use my adapter cable with OBD-2 and car-code software with no success. Will my Twin-Com adapter cable work with other sofware???
Anyone here had experience with the above.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is there any reason I can't have my scan tool plugged in while I'm driving the car? I assume it can read codes while the engine is running. I'm trying to catch the misfire codes before they set off the light. The reader I have allows me to look at intermittent and maturing codes, and I would like to be able to get quick snapshots while in the 405 stop-and-go traffic. Could it possibly do any damage to the computer to read codes while its running the car?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
No computer damage will be done unless you wrinkle enough body sheet metal while fiddling with the tool.

Many tools allow graphing selected parameters _and_ storing a snapshot of time both before and after. This is the best method of isolating for repair some of the more complex driveability issues. Auterra has a functionally equivalent feature.

To simplify my reply; In reference to your octane and the Insight question, since the Insight has an engine knock sensor you will get the _best_ MPG using the highest octane available (up to a reasonable limit let's say 93 since its rare for higher to be commonly available). However, the cost per gal vs the increase MPG is not a good "buy".

Most of the major brands of gasoline have sufficient additives to eliminate "goop" buildup in all octane's. _BUT_ there _MAY_ be some issues in regard to the very highest octane, the minimal difference in "extra" additives and the potential issues of EGR plumbing clogs. There are _many_ factors involved and your "benefit" will absolutely vary on this issue. The _only_ thing you _might_ be buying in this regard is extra time. It won't buy you a repair after the fact.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts