Honda Insight Forum banner

Where to hardwire GPS power?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  924guy 
#1 ·
I have a Vcommand voice recognition GPS unit. I would like to power it from a 12VDC source in my 2002 CVT Insight that is switched. By that I mean when the key if OFF the GPS power is off. Can anyone with experience please point out where I can tap into a switched 12VDC wire that will not effect any of the many sensors in the Insight? I'm afraid to tap into just any switched 12VDC wire I find by searching about with my voltmeter as I might accidentally hit a monitored critical voltage circuit.

BTW, it doesn't matter where I mount the actual GPS unit. There is no map or screen to look at. In fact it only has an on/off volume control. I will use an external on/off switch in the accessory panel above the fold down storage bin on the left of the steering, and I have the extension speaker and microphone to speak into. So the unit can basically go anywhere inside the passenger compartment.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help...

#2 ·
On the 2000 MT the cigarette lighter is a switched 12V source. I am using it for my computer....BUT.....I am having second thoughts about using a switched source because everytime I stop for a few minutes the GPS has to reboot when I restart the car.

I really dont like having to worry about the possibility for forgetting to turn it off.

I am between a rock and a hard place.

I am thinking about a latching circuit that I can activate with a button when I know I will just be making a temporary stop. That way if I dont take some positive action to delay the shut off, it will just shut off normaly.

#3 ·
Thanks for your knowledge on the switched output of the 12 volt outlet. I had no idea that AutoStop would switch everything off. This seems like a bad design decision to me. I guess I need to change my search for an "always on" 12VDC source that is only turned off when the ignition key is switched off. I guess in the long run I'm going to have to find an electrical diagram and start probing around and testing with my DVM. Like you, my GPS is really a small computer that is dedicated to voice recognition, GPS coordinates and the internal North American map. I can't keep rebooting this unit at every stop light either. Please let me know if you come up with something, and I'll do the same. BTW, my Vcommand GPS needs a 12 volt DC @ 800 ma source. So apparently it's a bit of a current "hog" too...

#4 ·
auto stop doesnt turn anything off

jim meant when he makes a quick stop(to run into a store quickly) it would turn off

my gps has a battery that it will run off of without a plugged in power supply(and even offers an option to turn off the gps or leave it on when i turn off the ignition)

i would say hardwire it off of your cigarette lighter

or, what i did, i bought one of those switched 3 way power strips, and put it in the bottom of my glove box. i have my cell charger, my gps power, and an open plug. i ran all the cords behind my glove box and underneath all the paneling, so the only part of the gps cord you can see runs from next to the head unit up to the gps(under the rearview mirror). i can take a few pics if you want visuals

#5 ·
My bad...

Yes, I now realize the Auto Stop doesn't shut off the accessory socket and I'm going to use that DC source to tap into for my GPS. My GPS is a bit different. It has no map or LCD screen so I am also going to hide that black box away under the driver side instrument panel. I only have to have a small remote speaker and microphone mounted so I can "talk" to it. It uses voice recognition for all input of data. I'd post pictures, but there will be noting to look at really.
Thanks again for the help.

#6 ·
found this at bulldogsecurity.com , not as good as a real schematic, but helpful..formatting is a bit screwy, if you cant read it just click this link: INSIGHT 00-03

INSIGHT 2000-2003

WIRE/ COLORS/ LOCATION
12 VOLTS CONSTANT/ WHITE/ IGN SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 1/ BLACK/YELLOW / IGN SWITCH HARNESS
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 -/ YELLOW/ IGN SWITCH HARNESS
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2-/ WHITE/BLACK/ IGN SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER / BLACK/WHITE / IGN SWITCH HARNESS
PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) / RED/WHITE ( + ) / KEYLESS MODULE *1
DOME LIGHT COMES ON WITH UNLOCK
POWER DOOR LOCK/ WHITE/BLUE ( - ) / KEYLESS MODULE *1
POWER DOOR UNLOCK / WHITE/GREEN ( - ) / KEYLESS MODULE *1
TRUNK RELEASE / BLUE ( + )/ AT SWITCH
TACH SENSOR / BLUE / TACH TEST CONN. ABOVE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER
BRAKE / GREEN/WHITE ( + )/ BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH
HORN/ ORANGE/ STEERING COLUMN

*NOTES*

*1 - KEYLESS MODULE IS LOCATED BEHIND COIN TRAY ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE DASH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.