Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Insighters, we just put a deposit down on a used 2001 Insight (26k miles, CVT, Silverstone) from a private seller. It will be our first foray into the hybrid world and we're excited about it. The car won't be available until July 30th (seller is an older man and he'll need it until then). I'm pretty sure he said it has had the battery inspected recently, but I didn't know to ask about the extended warranty. From what I've read here it seems as if it should be covered. I'll check the 14th digit "hole" after we pick up the car.

I've driven the Insight before (a 2002 manual tranny before we bought our Subaru Impreza) and was impressed, but my wife insists on an automatic so that was that. Now that we are getting an automatic Insight she's willing to give the car a try (though she is still grousing about the fact that it only seats two...some people are never satisfied :lol:).

I've occasionally lurked on insightcentral.net for at least the past couple of years but it was pointless for me to join until we actually had a car. It's a very nice site. One feature that would be particlularly useful for newbs is a FAQ that explains the various acronyms that you all use relating to the Insight (BCM, MCM, IMA, FAS, etc).

Since I'm having to cool my heels for the next three weeks waiting for our new car, I'll have to settle for pestering you all for information. To begin with, are there any hypermilers out there willing to list the most effective (and reasonably painless to implement) mpg mods and driving techniques specifically for the CVT Insight?

Thanks,

Vince

Our new car:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Congradulations! ... and only twenty six thousand miles on it! It's essentially a new one - well done.

If it's not already included and a part of the sale, get an Owner's Manual. It'll be well worth the cost, even if you have to purchase a copy brand new from a Honda dealership.

I to have a silver CVT and I can offer that while it and yours may look slightly different than most cars out there on the road, what's really different about your Insight will show up at the gas pump - probably the first time after you filled it up once - and don't expect to be there at the gas pump all that often.

You might also note that learning to drive the car, while the gas pedel, the brake pedle and the steering wheel are obviously where you expect them to be, it may easily take the two of you about a thousand or so miles of driving to begin to understand how to take advantage of the combination of the little engine and the battery you have there - truth be told, it took me almost two thousand miles and I'm still learning and I expect others will tell you the same.

Sounds like you got a good one - Best of luck with it!

Fred :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have only had my 2001 cvt silverstone insight for 4 months but you will have to try to keep your eyes on the road rather than the mpg gauage! I find myself trying for 100mpg+ but not there yet. Everytime I fill, the mpg go's up I started at 40+ and I'm at 56mpg now and still learning. A steady foot and getting used to the car going to charge when you let off the gas will help. If you keep your foot lightly on the gas so the car does'nt always charge when you back off the gas it helps. I hope this helps and just enjoy the miles you can go before you need gas!! Oh and be ready to talk to strangers every one wants to know about your cool Hybrid. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
lucky you!

I think I saw that car advertised on craigslist - one of the quotes in it went something like "this car has never been driven outside of San Francisco by a 75 year old man".

I didn't inquire, but kinda wish I had (now that I see the picture I'm jealous!), seems like good deals on Insights are few & far between around here. No problem finding Priuses though - everyone in Berkeley traded in their volvos and subarus for one!

Congrats on the car!
-z

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: lucky you!

zoomylurch said:
I think I saw that car advertised on craigslist - one of the quotes in it went something like "this car has never been driven outside of San Francisco by a 75 year old man".
-z
That was the one we bought. The seller is a retired teacher who's moving out of the area. He is including the owner's manual (he's the original owner). I'd been looking on Craigslist for quite a while for one of these. They almost never come up with low mileage and a decent price in the Bay Area, so there was a race to get this one, and we managed to get there first (I finally won a race for once in my life :lol:).

We had a 1998 Jeep Cherokee (hey, don't boo and hiss...we loved that car) that had a realtime mpg gauge in it. I found myself driving to achieve the highest mileage I could on that car, so I think I can already appreciate what the effect will be with the Insight. I've already started practicing some of the suggested driving strategies in our Honda Civic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts